Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Remote Start(?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Remote Start(?)

How difficult is it to implement starting the Q5 remotely? If you had purchased the smart key option, it would seem remote start is only a nickel away from being a reality(?)

It's snowing again here on the Avalon

TIA
Old 02-02-2013, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rarewolf
How difficult is it to implement starting the Q5 remotely? If you had purchased the smart key option, it would seem remote start is only a nickel away from being a reality(?)

It's snowing again here on the Avalon

TIA
This has been asked many times on here, but I've only seen 1 person who's successfully installed one. He used a high-end electronics shop. I'll take a stab at this and ask why would the smart key option make it easier to install remote start? A remote starter generally relies on the installation of a physical key, but our cylinders are electronic start. Before you even begin to think about installing a remote starter, you need to bypass the electronic start somehow. Maybe replace your key cylinder with an aftermarket one? I don't know if they make a key cylinder bypass for our cars. If they don't, then we're talking about a $1000 part. If they do, then it should only cost about $100 for the bypass plus maybe $50-100 for an immobilizer, lock and alarm bypass. Plus the cost of the remote start which can run anywhere from $100-1000. Plus labor if you can't do this yourself which I'm assuming you can't based on your question. So it can be done, but not for a nickel! So if you can find a key cylinder bypass for the Q5 and you don't mind having a cheap starter (i.e. carrying a cheap-looking Key FOB in addition to your Audi key), then I'm going to guess around $700 installed if you can find a good shop to do it for you. Otherwise, around $1000-$1200 installed for a higher-end Viper system.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

I would not do that because of possible problems with electronics and protection system that has installed by Audi, which must be removed to install the remote start
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is the guy I was thinking of who got it installed on his Q5:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...remote+starter

So I did some searching and found this:
http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=461

Use that as your interface module.

You'll also need a XKLoader2 to program the module:
http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=422

Also use this to bypass your key:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...U-B-556UW.html

You will lose your spare key since you need to tear it apart to get the physical key out of the plastic housing.

Then you can pick any remote starter you want. May I suggest this one which can be activated from your smartphone:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper---...&skuId=9516348

I think that's all you need, but if anyone sees that I missed anything please chime in.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
I would not do that because of possible problems with electronics and protection system that has installed by Audi, which must be removed to install the remote start
That's what all the bypass modules are for. The car works fine when your car is parked or when you are driving, but those electronic systems you mention are temporarily bypassed when you go through the remote start routine.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
That's what all the bypass modules are for. The car works fine when your car is parked or when you are driving, but those electronic systems you mention are temporarily bypassed when you go through the remote start routine.
I do not want to be misunderstood
All new Audi models since 2008 have a system of protection in 5 points.
Audi's ignition system in five points (five processors) and if it does not coincide simultaneously all ignition the engine is automatically blocked.
Plus potential problems if it did not orignal electronics equipment
Not to say that it is not possible to install but it is possible to lose your factory warranty on electronics, which could be costly

Last edited by spijun; 02-02-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got viper remote start and security and smart start on my 2012 3.2 prestige. Have had it for about a year. No problems at all. Love it.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wasn't thinking about a 3rd party implimentation as easy or cheap ... Rather, thinking if Audi could implement a start button in close proximity of a smart fob, then it should be easy to add a start button to the fob for when it's in close proximity(?) just a thought