Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Removing Visor Stickers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Visor Stickers

On my last two Audi's (granted this was several years ago) I was able to peel off the ugly yellow and black warning stickers on both outside and inside of the sun visors. They just peeled off and any remaining adhesive came off with a little goo-gone. But the stickers on my new Q5 seem to be a different type, much thinner and almost embossed into the visor. Has anyone sucessfully removed these ugly stickers on a newer Audi? These ugly stickers warning of an Airbag hazard are probably only a requirement in US cars. They sure cheapen the look of a nice Audi interior.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

++++++++++++1! OH man, I hate those eyesore "protect the stupid" stickers. I'd love to remove them but I don't think they come off without damaging the car.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Although I have no specific information on our Q5's, the last time I tried it on a BMW I ended up having to buy a new sunshade for something like $250. Those warnings aren't just stickers anymore like they used to be decades ago.

The problem was simple chemistry; "like dissolves like" ( I'm a chemist BTW). Once I found a solvent that would dissolve the signage, the visor goes with it. I had it all taped off nicely and got the sign removed, but the texture of the sunshade changed. Bad idea
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

On my Corvette I found stickers that go over the warning stickers. They are made of material that match the visor. Can't even tell they are there. Hopefully some vender will make them to match the Q5.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

I removed mine using lacquer thinner. This newer generation of sticker is somewhat more difficult to remove compared to the older ones.

Plan B: Buy new visors from the UK or some other country...

Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Although I have no specific information on our Q5's, the last time I tried it on a BMW I ended up having to buy a new sunshade for something like $250. Those warnings aren't just stickers anymore like they used to be decades ago.

The problem was simple chemistry; "like dissolves like" ( I'm a chemist BTW). Once I found a solvent that would dissolve the signage, the visor goes with it. I had it all taped off nicely and got the sign removed, but the texture of the sunshade changed. Bad idea
That's what I'm afraid of-- making it worse. Don't know why we have to be treated like idiots in the US. Europe and Canada don't have the bright yellow Passenger Air Bag Off warning light either.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I removed mine using lacquer thinner. This newer generation of sticker is somewhat more difficult to remove compared to the older ones.
[/IMG]
I used rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol to remove mine...just be sure to let it really soak in before attempting to peel it off:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ubbing+alcohol
Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi40
I used rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol to remove mine...just be sure to let it really soak in before attempting to peel it off:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ubbing+alcohol
Did it leave any discoloration or sheen where the "sticker" was? As much as I'd like the stickers or paint gone, I'd hate to have to look at discoloration that I caused.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
Did it leave any discoloration or sheen where the "sticker" was? As much as I'd like the stickers or paint gone, I'd hate to have to look at discoloration that I caused.
You can see where the sticker was if you're looking for it, but definitely much better than having the sticker there...looks similar to the picture posted by überwgn.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You removed them on your 2010 ? or a more recent Audi...
my concern is they change them every year it seems like

Quick Reply: Removing Visor Stickers