Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Repairing Plastic Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repairing Plastic Rear Bumper

Despite "both" drivers having backup cameras, my wife and a dude in a new Ford managed to back out at the same time in the Chipotle parking lot and tapped bumpers. So, it popped that wrap around bumper loose and a few scratches, the guy had a little rash on his, equal fault.

The body shop Am Fam sends cars to was going to just pop the bumper back in, sand the scratches a bit, and repaint it. They actually popped the bumper back in while she was there for the estimate and I took some of my 3M magic polish to the scratches . . . good enough without any deductible.

Well, she comes out after work Friday afternoon and someone had backed into her on the other side, popping the bumper loose again but there are pretty deep gouges in the plastic now.

So, the body shop intends to just pop it back in again, fill and sand, then repaint. I want the wrap around bumper replaced.

Is fill and sand on a plastic piece just as good?

Last edited by canon_mutant; 08-29-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
So, the body shop intends to just pop it back in again, fill and sand, then repaint. I want the wrap around bumper replaced.

Is fill and sand on a plastic piece just as good?
In a word, Yes.

The gouges can be sanded, filled, primed and painted with no ill effects. The bumper cover should be removed from the car, all attaching parts removed so the new paint covers from edge to edge. If you have back-up sensors do not refinish them. If you have Lane Assist / Warning, where if there is a vehicle just to the side and behind you, there is a sensor behind the cover. It would be good to make sure that sensor is not damaged. Also tell the shop about the other mishap so they can check that area for cracked paint that may not have been noticed before.

Bob
Old 08-30-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, they know about the 1st incident. The same guy actually did the 2nd appraisal. But just repair on the car and repaint is all that is on the estimate. I want it removed to minimally inspect everything behind it for damage and was almost hoping that repair, sand, paint wasn't nearly as good as replace so I would have some added ammunition. But, even inspection of all the snap rivets would be worth while.

Never even thought about the sensors though . . .

Good to know!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

When a bumper or other "soft" plastic part is painted, the body shop typically uses the body paint that matches your car, and adds "plasticizer" to it, to make it flexible. I don't know if Audi themselves use a special bumper paint or if they follow this general procedure. But the problem is, whenever a part is painted this way, the re-paint may not hold up as long and as well as the original plastic. Some problems are that products like ArmorAll may cause the new paint to lift, depending on the product, the paint, and the primer used. In that sense, you are better off with the original bumper and having it spot repaired, although the patches can still age differently.

Bottom line is that the shop really has to know what they are doing. And if possible, ask them for an extended warranty on the repair, whichever they say is the right way to do it.

Actually, I'd say a pristine junkyward bumper is the best option, but magically, Audi parts don't seem to exist in junk yards. And there MUST be some pristine rear bumpers from cars that were t-boned or front ended. Somewhere. There are so few Audi colors...