Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Resale value : SQ5 vs TDI

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Resale value : SQ5 vs TDI

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to this forum (been reading it for a while though).
I am very hesitant about getting an SQ5 or a TDI. Even after driving both, can't decide 100%.

After many searches, I didn't find any discussions on this :

Do you think the SQ5 will have a better value compared to the TDI after, let's say, 4 years of ownership ?

I think SQ5 is less mainstream, and that everyone will want a TDI. Maybe in 4 years, not everyone will be willing to spend that much money on premium gas.

What do you think ?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diesels generally keep their value better than anything else, mainly due to historically long life spans.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Funny you mention this because I was looking at resale value today out of curiously of a 2 year old Q5 V6 Prestige S-Line with 30000 just to see what my TDI (should arrive in the next 2 weeks) would be worth in 2 years...I used the V6 Prestige Sline since there was no TDI 2 years ago and think that the V6 Prestige would have cost around the same as TDI (around $52k); trade in was worth $35k. I was very disappointed to see that. Anyone have any input when you traded an older Q5 for a new one how much was the depreciation from price you originally bought it to what they gave you on trade in? They say TDI should hold value better so I wonder how well? I would think SQ5 would hold well as well.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFreak666
Funny you mention this because I was looking at resale value today out of curiously of a 2 year old Q5 V6 Prestige S-Line with 30000 just to see what my TDI (should arrive in the next 2 weeks) would be worth in 2 years...I used the V6 Prestige Sline since there was no TDI 2 years ago and think that the V6 Prestige would have cost around the same as TDI (around $52k); trade in was worth $35k. I was very disappointed to see that. Anyone have any input when you traded an older Q5 for a new one how much was the depreciation from price you originally bought it to what they gave you on trade in? They say TDI should hold value better so I wonder how well? I would think SQ5 would hold well as well.
Check values for gas Touareg vs TDI....for same mileage/year...not comparable !

But the S exclusivity vs the best value keeper for Q5s...not sure
Old 03-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chuck2006
Check values for gas Touareg vs TDI....for same mileage/year...not comparable ! But the S exclusivity vs the best value keeper for Q5s...not sure
Good call...didn't think of that. I'll take a look. I am trading on a CRV I bought brand new 2 years ago for $28K that has 31000 on it now and I am getting $23K for trade in because they can sell it for $25K easy. It's amazing how well they hold value. I understand luxury cars don't hold value that well but I sure hope it doesn't depreciate horribly either. My S5 that I sold didn't depreciate too bad though. 2.5 years after I bought the S5 for $58K, I sold it for $45K with 25k miles on it. I could have easily sold for $48K at least if I wasn't in a hurry.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default "Both," but be sober.

Audi S models often hold value somewhat better than the non-S version of the same model, given there are fewer out there and enthusiasts usually want the performance ones rather than the more mundane.

On TDI's, historically those hold value too, both with the same higher new prices and their own enthusiast community.

Both of these truisms may fade some though here. Audi is pumping enough out that the "old" rules may not be so apt in coming years w/ more supply. My long experience too w/ Audis is that that on top of normal annual depreciation, they take a further one time hit of about 20% in the months leading up to the rollout of the next generation version. Expect that to hit all current Q5 versions in the next couple of years.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that diesels will always hold their value longer. They can generally last forever. How many old 1980's mercedes diesels do you see on the road (E300 Turbo Diesel) vs how many E320 gasoline? I always see the old diesels, and never the old gasoline cars.

You should easily be able to get 300,000 miles out of a diesel before a major overhaul is necessary.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the model that you like the best, regardless of which you think will retain value better. It's a guessing game at best. Who knows what market forces will impact gasoline or diesel fuels in 4 years? Don't over-think it.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Buy the model that you like the best, regardless of which you think will retain value better. It's a guessing game at best. Who knows what market forces will impact gasoline or diesel fuels in 4 years? Don't over-think it.
I couldn't agree more. I'm going to be pretty unhappy if I have to drive a car for even 1 day that I didn't exactly want but bought because of better resale value prospects. It just doesn't compute for me.

Nobody here _needs_ a $40-60k SUV. There are so many cheaper, more financially sound choices that will fit the practical need just fine, but the Q5, for whatever reason, fills some emotional want. Don't over-think it is great advice
FWIW...
Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiFreak666
I am trading on a CRV I bought brand new 2 years ago for $28K that has 31000 on it now and I am getting $23K for trade in because they can sell it for $25K easy. It's amazing how well they hold value.
I also traded in a Honda CRV for my Q5. It was 10 years old and had over 100k miles on it. Bought new for $19k and sold it for $7k. That's only $1200 per year of depreciation, LOL.

Quick Reply: Resale value : SQ5 vs TDI