Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Resolved --> Audi Q5 Crossbar Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up my 3.0 today and went to get a christmas tree so up went the rack. Noticed that I have the fluted strips but can't figure out how they fit in the rack. They look too small or the rack opening is too large.

Anyone have a picture of the rack with the rubber gasket fitted in?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy to install, pull out the black end cap of the bar and pull out the old rubber, then slide back in the new fluted rubber strip.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

....... If you want to see a picture, just check post #1 of this thread.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some pics which might explain my problem. The rack opening width is nearly 1/2 inch while the gasket is smaller.

Emailed the dealer over the weekend, waiting to hear a response.
Attached Images   
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Still, if you look closely at the pictures of Post #1, as you will see the original rubber also has a gap on each side (1/8). It doesn't fit snuggly tight. The opening is wide then the rubber.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zigaroo
Still, if you look closely at the pictures of Post #1, as you will see the original rubber also has a gap on each side (1/8). It doesn't fit snuggly tight. The opening is wide then the rubber.

It isn't the top part of the rubber piece, it is the part that is suppose to slot under the opening of the rack. The rack opening is 1/2 inch wide. When i put the rubber piece on, it just drops in since the widest part is about 1/8 inch narrower.

I realize this is hard to describe but I'm trying to figure out if the rubber piece is too narrow or the rack is too wide.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ny_driver
It isn't the top part of the rubber piece, it is the part that is suppose to slot under the opening of the rack. The rack opening is 1/2 inch wide. When i put the rubber piece on, it just drops in since the widest part is about 1/8 inch narrower.

I realize this is hard to describe but I'm trying to figure out if the rubber piece is too narrow or the rack is too wide.
It should fit fine - just push down on the rubber strip until the inner piece engages fully and sits under the metal groove. Once you feel it lock down, you'll get it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by oishiial
It should fit fine - just push down on the rubber strip until the inner piece engages fully and sits under the metal groove. Once you feel it lock down, you'll get it.
My point is that inner piece is either too small or the metal groove is too large. I can easily just put the rubber strip into the metal groove (I should take a pic and post).

Just trying to figure out whether I need another rubber strip (easy) or another rack (harder) from the dealer
Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ny_driver
My point is that inner piece is either too small or the metal groove is too large. I can easily just put the rubber strip into the metal groove (I should take a pic and post).

Just trying to figure out whether I need another rubber strip (easy) or another rack (harder) from the dealer
Have you tried pushing? Drop in the strip and then push down hard. It will initially feel like it's too small and sits floating in the groove, but when you push down it should engage fully. My strips look like the same dimensions as yours, and they went in tight after pushing down.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

cannot find these anywhere, dealer says nowhere in america, and it could take up to two months to get.

Quick Reply: Resolved --> Audi Q5 Crossbar Wind Noise