Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rip in the leather?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rip in the leather?

Hey guys,

After driving around with the new ride this week....I just noticed a cut on my passenger seat. I've had only 2 people sit there and the car only has like 175 miles on it.

Could this have come from the dealer when they took off the protective stuff? Looks like an exacto knife cut. I have never gashed a seat like this....especially a car that I've owned for a week and have been babying.

Any advice on what to do? Call the dealer?
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

most definitely call the dealer!
if you aren't covered they can refer to a repairer.

I had purchased the leather protection plan when I picked my Q up and the dealership contacted the rep to come fix mine (in my passenger rear side seat) so it was worth the plan.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OUCH ! that sure looks like a cut rather than a tear....
and in a place most passengers would not get too...
that's a tough one to prove though...

did u get any aftermarket protection package ?

you might give the dealer a try to see if they will take care of you....sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.

just be up front with them and 'expect' them to take care of you... attitude is everything

if not, that seems like a place that you could get repaired for < $100 at a good shop...

good luck... but really have had leather repaired before and it's amazing what they can do with it...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys.

Yeah...its a perfectly straight rip which leads me to believe it was their exacto knife prep guy.

I actually had a picture of the interior within the first few days of having it and you can kinda see a bump (because its in an odd place, there was no direct picture).

I called my sales guy and sent him the pictures. Awaiting word on what they will do. Nice to know that if they put up resistance, it can be somewhat fixed for rather cheap.

Plus...my sales guy has called me like 3 times to make sure I put all "10"s on the Audi survey. The survey just came via email today. So, its my last leverage against them
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Forgot to add that I did not have any aftermarket coverage. I've owned cars with leather seating my whole life and have never had a rip before. I get wrinkles and discoloration but never a rip like this.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPW8ggbHJsU

Pretty cool video on how they fix tears.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by g8tor20
Thanks guys.

Yeah...its a perfectly straight rip which leads me to believe it was their exacto knife prep guy.

I actually had a picture of the interior within the first few days of having it and you can kinda see a bump (because its in an odd place, there was no direct picture).

I called my sales guy and sent him the pictures. Awaiting word on what they will do. Nice to know that if they put up resistance, it can be somewhat fixed for rather cheap.

Plus...my sales guy has called me like 3 times to make sure I put all "10"s on the Audi survey. The survey just came via email today. So, its my last leverage against them
I just did that survey and I know you were probably joking there but I guess that survey is pretty serious business to them. I gave my sales guy an average review because quite frankly, he was average, at best. The day after I filled it out he called me to ask why I gave him such a poor review. I didn't have the time to go into it with him when he called so I just sort of blew it off but I will probably tell him more when I go back to pick up my permanent plates. Anyways, my point is, they seem to take it pretty seriously. I didn't expect him to have those results the next day. Evidently they get extra money if it's all 10s out of 10. At least that's what he told me when we picked up the car which I thought that was a little weird to tell a customer. Anyways, a little off topic there but there you go. Good luck with that seat's open wound!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh they must get extra money. The guy told me when I picked it up and then called me twice for no reason other than to make sure I put all 10s on the survey. They were very good to me so I will probably give them that extra benefit they must get from AoA.

I will, however, see how this leather thing plays out before sending that puppy in.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry this happened... I noticed you posted pics in a different thread when you picked the car up. Do you have any other pics that were taken back then that show the cut?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Rook
Sorry this happened... I noticed you posted pics in a different thread when you picked the car up. Do you have any other pics that were taken back then that show the cut?
Unfortunately, I can only find a picture that kinda shows it like a week later. I didn't take any interior pictures when i picked it up. By the time I got home, it was dark. I flew out the next morning to Baton Rouge or 4 days. So, didn't get to drive it until last week and noticed it a few days ago.

Because of its location, its hard to see from the drivers position. I only noticed it when my mother was looking at the car from the passenger side and noticed it. It's also not a place where it would get cut from something like a pair of jeans or something similar.

I assume it'll end up being a he said / she said thing. I know I didn't cut it and I'm the only one who's touched the car. But on the flip side, I didn't notice it upon acceptance from the dealer. My girlfriend also bought her A4 from the same dealer so we'll see what they say.

In the end...not much I can do about it other than to take away their precious 10s on the survey.

Quick Reply: Rip in the leather?