Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Roof Rack Whistling

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof Rack Whistling

Took delivery of 2012 Q5 last week and just installed the roof rack. Above 35-40 mph the air flow makes a whistling noise. Slight but enough to be an annoyance. First vehicle with such a feature. Worst case is take it off till I need it, but it's hassle. Anyone out there ever done anything to foil the air flow?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mjaiello
Took delivery of 2012 Q5 last week and just installed the roof rack. Above 35-40 mph the air flow makes a whistling noise. Slight but enough to be an annoyance. First vehicle with such a feature. Worst case is take it off till I need it, but it's hassle. Anyone out there ever done anything to foil the air flow?
Did you install the rubber strips that came with them? And btw, your dealer should have told you not to have them installed unless your using them as the computer changes the way the stability control reacts when they are on.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

First of all, when the roof bars are installed the vehicles traction control system assumes that there is 150 lbs. of cargo on the roof. That would be one reason to take off the rack when you don’t need it. Second, do you have any attachments installed on the rack (bike,ski,etc)? If not, the rubber strip needs to be put back in to reduce wind noise.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lyth
Did you install the rubber strips that came with them? And btw, your dealer should have told you not to have them installed unless your using them as the computer changes the way the stability control reacts when they are on.
^^^^^This guy is fast!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

=)
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, rubber strips are in. But no, wasn't aware of they should be off unless used. How does it affect the stability control? Does it just sense the drag?

On another topic, just received my NY plates today (I bought it in NJ). Is there supposed to be a front license plate holder that mounts to the grill/bumper? I see no way to secure the plate to the front without it. There was nothing in the rear compartment for that like I've had with other vehicles.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just spoke to my dealer and he said there is no front bracket, that you just screw the plate into the plastic "frame" on the bumper/grill. I'll take his word for it, but would like to hear from an enthusiast out there that that is in fact the case.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can leave roof racks on if you aren't using them, the traction control assumes 150 lbs once it see's roof rack on, and is just more aware with roof racks on. Does not take away any performance
Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ryan_qttro
You can leave roof racks on if you aren't using them, the traction control assumes 150 lbs once it see's roof rack on, and is just more aware with roof racks on. Does not take away any performance
Even so they make a lot noise so I don't leave them on.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mjaiello
Just spoke to my dealer and he said there is no front bracket, that you just screw the plate into the plastic "frame" on the bumper/grill. I'll take his word for it, but would like to hear from an enthusiast out there that that is in fact the case.
There is a front bracket, it's a little larger than the license plate. The dealer put my plate on for me but I watched. They used self tapping screws as there were no pre drilled holes.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Whistling