Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Roof Rack Whistling

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify: Your dealer secured the plate directly to the car with self-tapping screws or the secured the bracket to the car with self-tapping screws?

Does anyone know the part # of the bracket?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it's a separate plastic trim piece under the grill. On the order guide I think it's called the front plate filler. The dealer should have ordered that if you live in a state where front plates are required. You probably have the straight horizontal trim piece. I don't think the plate filler bolts on to that but rather takes its place.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are two options: 1) License plate bracket, which is the panel you need for attaching a license plate. 2) License plate filler, which is a horizontal piece, typically with two horizontal chrome lines, for states which not require front license plates. ECS tuning has them both available, but don't have any pictures of the bracket option.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-Q5-Qua...License_Plate/
Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Forgive what will seem like a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway 'cause I pick up my Q5 in two weeks and want to be clear on this issue.

When discussing the cause of the roof rack whistle and removing it when not in use, are we talking about just not installing the "cross rails", the one's that run across the Q5 (side to side) or are we talking about not even keeping the roof rack rails that run the length of the Q5 installed?

Also, is the Q5 traction control detecting the rails that are installed length wise (I would assume these) or is it somehow detecting the cross rails?

Any enlightenment would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake-AudiUSAParts
First of all, when the roof bars are installed the vehicles traction control system assumes that there is 150 lbs. of cargo on the roof. That would be one reason to take off the rack when you don’t need it. Second, do you have any attachments installed on the rack (bike,ski,etc)? If not, the rubber strip needs to be put back in to reduce wind noise.
+1
Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Forgive what will seem like a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway 'cause I pick up my Q5 in two weeks and want to be clear on this issue.

When discussing the cause of the roof rack whistle and removing it when not in use, are we talking about just not installing the "cross rails", the one's that run across the Q5 (side to side) or are we talking about not even keeping the roof rack rails that run the length of the Q5 installed?

Also, is the Q5 traction control detecting the rails that are installed length wise (I would assume these) or is it somehow detecting the cross rails?

Any enlightenment would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Everyone is taking about the cross rails (run driver to passenger side). They should be bundled up in the hatch when you take delivery. There is some sort of relay when you attach them that triggers the car to assume there is now weight up there and it will adjust the CG accordingly. There's really no reason to drive around with them on unless you use your roof rack frequently. I've never used mine. They're still wrapped in bubble wrap in the garage.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
Everyone is taking about the cross rails (run driver to passenger side). They should be bundled up in the hatch when you take delivery. There is some sort of relay when you attach them that triggers the car to assume there is now weight up there and it will adjust the CG accordingly. There's really no reason to drive around with them on unless you use your roof rack frequently. I've never used mine. They're still wrapped in bubble wrap in the garage.
Thanks very much for the clarification.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Banned

There is a micro-switch in the front to back roof rail that is triggered when the front cross bar is installed. Technically you can leave the rear cross bar on without the vehicle knowing it is there. Having the front cross bar installed will cause the stability control to "intervene" sooner than normal. The vehicle will be just as quick and powerful as without cross bars, but if you take corners hard it may slow you down a little more than normal.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone know how to uninstall the roof racks? dealer already installed the cross bars, but I like to take them off.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bbetter
Does anyone know how to uninstall the roof racks? dealer already installed the cross bars, but I like to take them off.
There is a T-handle tool that comes with your Q that will loosen the clamps. Flip the "door" on the side of each bracket to expose the bolt. About 6 full turns to completely release the pinch retainer on the bracket. I found the tool in the area behind the battery with the jack and other tools.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Whistling