Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rotors - Brembo vs Zimmerman ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotors - Brembo vs Zimmerman ?

Hi,

I have a 2013 Audi Q5 Premium Plus 2.0L (AWD ) and I need to decide between putting on Front and Back Rotors . I know this has been discussed a lot many times in Different forums, but the usually it mostly ends up with people saying that both are of same quality .

I would like to know which ones are better ? I would . really appreciate if you could answer the question in the following aspects as well . :-

1.) Rusting
2.) Material Rotors are made out of
3.) Coating ( Z coated ( Zimmermann ) v/s UV Coated ( Brembo ) )
4.) Braking Performance
5.) Wear and Tear

Also I am confused as to which coating is better Z coated or UV Coated .

Hope to hear soon .
Old 01-25-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 387 Likes on 348 Posts

Rty, I've got Zimmerman Z coat on our wagon and our '15 Q5 is fitted with Brembo pads and discs from the factory. The Q5 has done about 40k miles, parts still appear as new. As I've said in your other posts on this same topic, the ceramic pads are very easy on the rotors and are exceptionally clean. The wheels and brake components on the Q5 still appear as new. However, I don't care for the overall performance envelope. I do like the semi-metallic pads I've fitted with the Zimmerman discs. It's a superior combination.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply . I have had an independent and experienced and unbiased Brake Shop recommend me If I want to aftermarket ( which I . want . to . ) . He recommended minimum to use OEM Brake Pads ( which are semi metallic ) in Audi's Case and Use aftermarket Rotors . So I wanted to get a better understanding about Zimmerman V/s Brembo .

Would . you be able to highlight your experience in the below aspects for . your two cars

1.) Rusting
2.) Material Rotors are made out of
3.) Coating ( Z coated ( Zimmermann ) v/s UV Coated ( Brembo ) )
4.) Braking Performance
5.) Wear and Tear
Old 01-25-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 387 Likes on 348 Posts

Would it be helpful for you to see fotos of each car's rotors? Both cars have done some serious miles on these configurations.

1. no rusting on either that I can see
2. discs are typically from iron
3. no idea
4. the semi-metallic pads are great under ALL conditions. I cannot say the same for ceramic pads. I haven't found a condition where I admire them at all. As I said in the other posts, I've been removing the OE ceramic pads from our cars. I don't like them.
5. You probably won't find anything that wears better than ceramic. It's almost unbelievable. My wife has done about 40k miles on her '15 Q5 and the lip on the rotor is just barely starting to form. In my eyes that's "nice", but I don't consider it a fair trade off for poor braking performance and extremely high pedal effort.

I think the best of what I've experienced on these cars is the Centric pads (series #104) with Zimmerman Z Coat discs.

My '11 A4 was fitted from the factory at all four corners with ceramic brakes. I have removed the front pads and installed the Centric semi-metallic. That $40 spent has been a HUGE upgrade in braking performance.

Audi did a deal with Brembo to supply calipers, discs and ceramic pads on the Q5. I believe that began in 2014MY in the USA market.

If you like braking performance, and can deal with 1/3 of the typical brake dust of a Euro car, the Centric pads + Zimmerman rotors are working really well on our cars.

I have fitted the series #104 to several Japanese cars we have. They work great and seem to be very clean in this application.