Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

S-Tronic gearbox question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Tronic gearbox question

Just got my brand new Q5 - 2.0 TFSI engine with S-tronic gearbox. A bit concerned about one thing, hopefully someone can advise before I go to the dealer and perhaps make a fool of myself~

In the "manual" mode, using either the selector stick or the paddles on the steering wheel, there is a bit of a delay - say between half a second and a second when changing gears to a higher gear. This means that if I hit the + paddle as the engine is accelerating thru 3000 rpm in 1st or second gear, the gear change only takes effect when the engine needle is moving past 4500 (as example, depends on how hard one is acceleratiing). Is this normal. This is less problematic once in 4th gear or higher as acceleration is not as hard then. Down changes seem far quicker. Is this normal with the 7 speed S tronic gearbox? I would expect it to be almost instantaneous??
Old 04-13-2009, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not instant as that transmission is DSG meaning it is mechanical transmission with clutch (actually 2 clutches with own shafts).

This is generally what happens when you shift on fly. Whole thing is managed by vehicle computers in split of second...

Up:
Driver gives impulse to shift higher -> engine eases gas to prevent jerking -> engaged clutch opens -> engine drops rpm's down to match slower (higher) gear -> second clutch with gear on activates -> engine gets gas again...

Down:
yadda yadda -> engine gives gas to prevent engine brake -> engaged clutch opens -> engine rev's up to match higher (smaller) gear -> second clutch with gear activates -> engine eases gas to allow engine brake.

Breifly driving difference between torque converter and DSG

With torque converter tranny you slam the pedal floor and your rev needle stays close to red zone...

With DSG you slam pedal floor and your engine plays with rpm's to match each gear during the shifting...
Old 04-13-2009, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Kleinbus!

I guess it makes sense. There is not a lot of reason to want to drive in the manual mode anyway, but wanted to put my mind at ease.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Having had both Tiptronic and DSG trannies

What you are describing sounds more like a Tiptronic (torque converter) transmission than it does an S-Tronic (which is what Audi calls DSG, dual electronic clutches). The Tiptronic on my S4 was just like you described - I had to anticipate gear changes by at least 500 rpm to get it to shift when I wanted it to. The DSG in my R32 is immediate. Pull the paddle and the transmission shifts right then.

I don't know what transmissions are available there (we only get the Tiptronic in the US), but if you have an S-tronic and are anything other than impressed and satisfied, I would talk to your dealer about it.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hhhmmm I meant split of second....

Long enough that you feel it as it is not as smooth as torque converter but it should not be as long what B5AudiVW had to go through with A4.

Yes it haves electric control that allows almost smooth shifting as computer controls shifting and engine RPM, but it is still mechanical meaning there is sylinders/actuators to control gears and clutches. It can not activate 2 gears at the same time, so one clutch have to be released then match engine RPM and then activate other clutch.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Edit button pleaasssseeeeeeeeeeee

A or S, still Audi
Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

DSG is German word,

DirektSchaltGetriebe

that is also translated as

DirectShiftGearbox

and as Germans speak German, there is no word Stationwagon on those brands, Audi is Avant, VW is Variat, MB T is Touring and BMW is also Touring.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I will pop around to my dealer and ask them to take a drive and advise if it is normal. I am guessing it is but perhaps there are adjustments that can make it quicker. from what i understand, S-Tronic is an updated version od the original DSG greatbox concept.

Other than this, which is really not a big issue when you get accustomed to it, LOVING this car.