Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

S Tronic: Jerking between shifting gears and pulling away

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S Tronic: Jerking between shifting gears and pulling away

I bought a second hand Q5 2009 2.0 tfsi s-tronic a few weeks ago, and I have been struggling with it.

1. When you select reverse or Drive the car jumps foward or back. Pulling away the car stands still in drive even thou you let go of the brakes, then you stand still for 2-4 seconds and then the car jumps, and you have to step on the gas to stop the jumping.

2. While driving on open roads and you want to pass another vehicle, you step on the gas and you literally feel the car gear down, but that make the car rattle / shake / jerk, dont know how to explain. When you accelerate it feels as if the gearbox slips and engin revs high.

Sometimes the ESP light comes on while driving and the car loses all his power, then I need to stop next to the road and switch the car off and on again to "refresh" the car.

I dont know what to do anymore, had it taken to a mechanic to do calibrations etc.
But the problem still consist.
Can someone please help with advise?
Old 05-31-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by FransW
I bought a second hand Q5 2009 2.0 tfsi s-tronic a few weeks ago, and I have been struggling with it.

1. When you select reverse or Drive the car jumps foward or back. Pulling away the car stands still in drive even thou you let go of the brakes, then you stand still for 2-4 seconds and then the car jumps, and you have to step on the gas to stop the jumping.

2. While driving on open roads and you want to pass another vehicle, you step on the gas and you literally feel the car gear down, but that make the car rattle / shake / jerk, dont know how to explain. When you accelerate it feels as if the gearbox slips and engin revs high.

Sometimes the ESP light comes on while driving and the car loses all his power, then I need to stop next to the road and switch the car off and on again to "refresh" the car.

I dont know what to do anymore, had it taken to a mechanic to do calibrations etc.
But the problem still consist.
Can someone please help with advise?
I own the very same model/year, a 2009 2.0T Q5 with a 7 speed S-Tronic, it's got 52K miles on it now.
I bought it second hand as well, but knowing that these cars have a couple of issues that needed to be addressed right away, oil consumption and gearbox/clutch service. My car had the engine rebuilt when it had 40K miles and the gearbox/clutch serviced shortly after. Both were major services and were done under warranty which gave me (some) peace of mind.
The 7 speed S-Tronic in these model/year cars are know to fail, just search the internet for S-Tronic 7 speed DSG issues and you'll see a lot of results. In my case the dealer installed a repair kit and changed all the transmission fluids.

So, I strongly suggest you to take your car to an Audi dealer or qualified indy mechanic for a scan/diagnosis, you might still be able to repair it before your mechatronic unit breaks apart, and that's a hefty bill

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was normal on our 2011. A little erratic and uneven with upshift spacing. Jerky downshifting when slowing down. One reason I traded it in. I feared a $3k+ tranny overhaul on the horizon. Fluid changed helped a lot right when we bought it. Super smooth other times.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

1​​​​​. S-tronic oil and internal filter change is per 65000 Km.
2. 2009-2010 External filter oil needs flushing. external filter is not serviceable unlike 2011 which is. 2011 or later is paper type filter and is after the cooler, 2009-2010 is before cooler and is metallic.
3. Downshifting 2 to 1 problem was resolved with firmware 11.
4. There is a repair circuit board kit which was revised. Part number is on a similar thread.
5. S-tronic comes with clutches and those can slip when they get worn out. I would thing over 250000 km but depends if those were forced to deteriorate sooner e.g. oil transmission service was not performed every 65000km or other transmission hardware issues.
6. Also there is a transmission harness and a speed sensor that can also fail.
7. My valve body was revised, under warranty.

I would first read the transmission diagnostic trouble code before deciding what the issue is.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q5 started intense jerknwhen changkng gears at 66,000 miles

my Q5 just started making a head-jerking jolt when changing gears, particularly downshifting. It is definitely a change from its normal shifting. It is going in to the dealer tomorrow. Is it ok to drive today? Any idea of Audi will participate in the repair, as I’m guessing it is not minor. What have others experienced with this problem?