Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

"safety feature"

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "safety feature"

So, i just had a little "adventure" - it went like that: me and my 3.5 yr old daughter wanted to go shopping, i put her in her chair in the back, fastened the belt, went to my seat, turned the engine on, then realised i forgot something in the house, got out, got back in 30 seconds to find the car locked. It was my daughter who pressed the "padlock" button on her door. I asked her to unlocked it - so she pressed it again, nothing happened. Same when she tried to pull the handle (which makes sense, with child lock engaged on that door). Long story short, i opened it using a manual key we had in the house: the back door "padlock" button locks all door, but there's no "unlock" function. Pulling the handle disengages the lock on that particulat door only, and there's no audible click. So when she did it i was only trying to open driver's side door. Younger child could have easily pressed the button, but not be able to pull the handle. It's just a bit confusing and possibly dangerous - if you dont have another key handy.

i guess i have to always remember to turn it off no matter what...Is there an option to disable that button? as i have a 1 year old too...
Old 03-25-2012, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cptkloss
So, i just had a little "adventure" - it went like that: me and my 3.5 yr old daughter wanted to go shopping, i put her in her chair in the back, fastened the belt, went to my seat, turned the engine on, then realised i forgot something in the house, got out, got back in 30 seconds to find the car locked. It was my daughter who pressed the "padlock" button on her door. I asked her to unlocked it - so she pressed it again, nothing happened. Same when she tried to pull the handle (which makes sense, with child lock engaged on that door). Long story short, i opened it using a manual key we had in the house: the back door "padlock" button locks all door, but there's no "unlock" function. Pulling the handle disengages the lock on that particulat door only, and there's no audible click. So when she did it i was only trying to open driver's side door. Younger child could have easily pressed the button, but not be able to pull the handle. It's just a bit confusing and possibly dangerous - if you dont have another key handy.

i guess i have to always remember to turn it off no matter what...Is there an option to disable that button? as i have a 1 year old too...
I had this happen to me in a car wash with the S4. I left the key in the ignition and my 2 year-old put her foot on the door and locked it. Luckily the car wash is only 5 min from home and my wife brought the extra key. I always take the key with me when I leave the car now.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you open the back doors there is a 'switch' on the side of the door to disable, I think the locking mechanism, just for this purpose.

if you have the keyless start option just keep the KEY with you instead? the Q will remain running just with an error on the dash of 'no key'.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When my kid was younger, I always open one of windows whenever I have to run back into the house for something I forgot, kids like to push buttons