Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Scheduled Maintenance By Dealer or Independent Shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scheduled Maintenance By Dealer or Independent Shop

My Q5 TDI is the first Audi I've owned. I have not (yet?) purchased AudiCare.

I'm considering my choices for having the required scheduled maintenance performed while the car is still under factory warranty.

There is currently no Audi dealer nearby. The closest dealer is in Fort Worth, TX, about 250 miles distant. Some members here have spoken highly of that dealership. I could live with taking the car to that dealer if I have to.

There is an expert local independent European car mechanic who I have known personally for 20+ years. He has serviced previously owned German cars and performed the first 5k mile service on my Q5.

A multi-lines luxury car dealership nearby will open a franchised Audi dealership later this year but the service that parent company performed on a previous BMW was not a positive experience. The likelihood of that dealer being able to staff up with highly trained and experienced Audi service techs is not great. There are a few but not a great number of Audis in the local area.

The local VW dealer serviced my VW TDI for the last four years. I like them and they have an excellent service department. They are willing to service my Audi but, of course, cannot perform warranty work or reset the service counter. The GenMgr has a personal VAG-com adapter and has offered to reset the counter if his adapter works on the Audi. The VW Touareg TDI is similar so they have experience with the 3.0 TDI engine and drive train.

I prefer to use one of the local options for service but IF I should experience future problems while the Q5 is under warranty how sticky is Audi likely to be about my cars service history? Will receipts from an independent shop or VW dealer be accepted as proof of routine service?

I'll appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

There is no requirement that service has to be performed by Audi in order to keep warranty intact. Just make sure you have receipts that the maintenance work was actually performed.

With that said, should you ever have a problem and be just out of warranty, Audi might be more accommodating if you had your vehicle serviced at one of their facilities.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, Pete.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is pretty clear but I wanted to know if Audi had a history of trying to require a franchised dealer service history in case of expensive repair issues.

I generally prefer having cars serviced by brand dealers but it may be difficult to do in my area.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Yes, comfortable you can get the work done at shop of choice, but obviously maintain full receipt record. Audi has been known to test fluids too when it is a big claim on motor or some such, so be sure oil being used is Audi spec compliant and preferably documented by brand/type in receipt paperwork as another back up. I use AudiCare w/ in warranty--albeit the Hybid I have is a yet more specialized case where they cover a pricy tranny fluid change at same price. But I have also DIY'ed it in past, in which case in warranty I also use OE parts or their direct underlying OES equivalent from Hengst or NGK (gas motors) or what ever the parts.

As a subtle item on TDI, also recognize/remember that a likely outcome of the litigation is the motor warranties get extended a la the Cayenne TDI already done. While I expect they would then be extra cautious getting into a warranty fight with a TDI owner, it may put a premium on maintaining the records and approach well beyond the normal 4/50 warranty window. For benefit of others in the CARB compliant states (west coast and Northeast down through Mid Atlantic) with longer warranties on a variety of drivetrain components if you know the nuances, I then keep better documentation out through several more years.

Don't know why BTW the VW tools would not work on Audi, unless the computer they use only has VW models in the menu interface. The underlying protocols are the same, and of course VCDS can read/reset across any of the VW or Audi models. Also in Europe when you get into smaller places you can find many places where the brands and related shops are co-located.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by HBarlow
They are willing to service my Audi but, of course, cannot perform warranty work or reset the service counter. The GenMgr has a personal VAG-com adapter and has offered to reset the counter if his adapter works on the Audi.
You can reset the service interval by yourself in the MMI. At least in my 2015, you can. No tools required.

Or are we talking about something different here?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, comfortable you can get the work done at shop of choice, but obviously maintain full receipt record. Audi has been known to test fluids too when it is a big claim on motor or some such, so be sure oil being used is Audi spec compliant and preferably documented by brand/type in receipt paperwork as another back up. I use AudiCare w/ in warranty--albeit the Hybid I have is a yet more specialized case where they cover a pricy tranny fluid change at same price. But I have also DIY'ed it in past, in which case in warranty I also use OE parts or their direct underlying OES equivalent from Hengst or NGK (gas motors) or what ever the parts.

As a subtle item on TDI, also recognize/remember that a likely outcome of the litigation is the motor warranties get extended a la the Cayenne TDI already done. While I expect they would then be extra cautious getting into a warranty fight with a TDI owner, it may put a premium on maintaining the records and approach well beyond the normal 4/50 warranty window. For benefit of others in the CARB compliant states (west coast and Northeast down through Mid Atlantic) with longer warranties on a variety of drivetrain components if you know the nuances, I then keep better documentation out though several more years.

Don't know why BTW the VW tools would not work on Audi, unless the computer they use only has VW models in the menu interface. The underlying protocols are the same, and of course VCDS can read/reset across any of the VW or Audi models. Also in Europe when you get into smaller places you can find many places where the brands and related shops are co-located.
Good information. I would not knowingly allow any dealership or shop to use non-approved fluids and will always choose factory OEM parts if repairs or replacements are needed. I just can't see putting Auto Zone or O'Reilly's China-made parts into an expensive German car that I plan to keep and drive for several years to save a few bucks.

I don't know from personal experience but the VW service manager, a woman, told me she would be happy to service the car because of the similarity to the VW Touareg but her software would not reset the service minder. She seems knowledgeable.

I normally keep a file folder with all receipts and documents related to a particular vehicle but will make sure that whoever does the work annotates type and brand of oil and filters just to be sure.

I like the idea of a complimentary extended engine warranty.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
You can reset the service interval by yourself in the MMI. At least in my 2015, you can. No tools required.

Or are we talking about something different here?
Pete,

The owner of the European Auto Shop that did the oil and inspection service at 5k reset the oil service counter using the MMI but I think he told me the MMI would not reset the 15k, 25k, etc. service counter. He is very meticulous and professional.

The VW service manager also thought a VCDS adapter would be required. I don't know. I'm just a newbie and learning about the car.

Are you sure you can reset all service procedures with the MMI or just the oil services?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

When I was in the biz I had - still have - VCDS cable and Ross-Tech software.Any garage that doesn't have these basics for all VW/Audi vehicles that come through the door isn't serious about his business future.Same applies to all other brands of vehicles.The only brand we had difficulty dealing with was Volvo - very weird given that they more or less were the first to integrate OBDII.But now they're a bitc%$ to work with.Everything is "top secret".If you can't get your mind around software in today's vehicles then you'll end up changing oil, tires and brakes, pretty slim pickings.
By the way if you're after parts, Napa, at least in Canada, is good about offering Oem spec.parts in addition to their decent Napa brand parts.They sell/stock Lubrimoly fluids, ATE,Brembo,Textar etc.for brakes and on and on.So you or your good independant garage can easily access good Oem quality parts at a reasonable price compared to the dealers.You've got to do your research however, sometimes Audi dealers can be very competitive - sometimes !
Old 01-11-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the information. I have purchased random parts from NAPA on occasion in past years and have always considered NAPA a cut above AutoZone, etc. but was not aware they could sell OEM parts. I'll have to check on that. Perhaps it's a Canada only thing but I'll ask.

NAPA and O-Reilly's have warehouses as well as stores in Lubbock.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

HBarlow
Just to clarify I said Napa stock/sell "Oem spec.parts".You can't buy VW/Audi brand parts.They can get them for you but you'll pay a premium.
"Spec." parts refers to products that in all ways meet Audi's standards, which are generally pretty good by the way.
Always keep in mind Audi, as with most manufacturers,doesn't make their own brakes,most suspension components,fluids,electronics,sensors etc.They are brand labelled by parts manufacturers,such as Bosch ATE Sachs Brembo Valeo and on and on.So generally you can get the same product from Napa without the "brand" and save some bucks.
Oh my goodness I just noted that you're BANNED.Been a bad boy eh !