Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch removal

Noticed few minor scratches in the front of my Q5. Looking for ideas to remove it. Came across this product http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,6

Has anyone used this before? or any other better ways to address this?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kvsub
Noticed few minor scratches in the front of my Q5. Looking for ideas to remove it. Came across this product http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,6

Has anyone used this before? or any other better ways to address this?
It might work just fine but without seeing(at least) a pic of the scratch(es) nobody could confirm. Post a pic or 2 if you can.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had my baby for 1.5 months..Black sline nav...i think for some reason "black car" is easy to get scratchs? or at least u can see it alot..i have alot of them already although it is not major..it just some light lines under the paint but it sure bothering me alot and hurts to see it....i also want to see what kinda scratch remover can be use for it? I will try to take some pictures...hope that would help also....thanks...And anyone order a touch up paint from audi before? I have little rock chips too from driving up to upstate NY....
Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know which particualr scratch (or likely more likely, swirl) remover you would need, there are plenty to choose from, but the most important thing is to realize that you can get those swirls very easily - from car washes or even washing the car yourself with a not pefectly clean sponge or too rough a towel. I have a black Q5 and (like all black cars) do look incredible when clean, but will always require more maintenance to keep it looking good. Audi does use high quality paint though is incredibly rich looking. Do check out a good detailing forum. Lots of info on them, even if some do get incredibly **** about it.

Bob
Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks so much bob...i will look into it...yeah lots swril marks...since it is my first black car and it is still brand new...that is why i might be a little over reacted....at first i didn't know much about it, so i went to machine wash place..than see the mark..than use some kinda of scratch remover which made it worse....(the color change to little DULL) but i waxed it few more times...seems little better now...I might be toooo careful and annoying for what is happened to me..afterall, it is only matter of time..Again, thanks for the advice...
Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have had good luck with this exact Turtle Wax product over the years. However, I picked up a tube of GS27 at my local "As Seen on TV" store (there is actually one in a big mall near me!) and it works much better on actual scratches, like from a dried branch of a shrub scraping the fender. Actually, this GS27 works amazingly well. The 5.3 ounce (150 g) tube was $10.99 US. I cannot comment on GS27's ability to remove swirls, but the Turtle wax worked very well on my Black 1998 Trooper back in the day.
I found another Turtle Wax product last year that I have used on my and my daughter's cars that I really like: "ICE Total Interior Care." As they say on the label it "cleans, conditions, protects plastic, vinyl and leather". I used to use an Armor All product but the Turtle Wax ICE is better IMHO. I cleaned up my 2008 A4 before selling it and the entire interior looked great without the fake shiny, greasy look some other products produce. Also, I used it on an old leather briefcase and the thing looks new.
Checking out the detailing forum might be good, but I am afraid of getting to be too much of a "detailing snob" that can't use anything that costs less then a lot of money or doesn't have a Swiss or German sounding name. I believe that if you wash your car frequently with a decent low acid soap and a nice micro fiber mitt and dry with decently soft towels (micro fiber or otherwise) the car will stay looking good. Most readily available detailing and wax products these days run circles around the stuff we labored for hours on when I was a younger man. Good luck!

Last edited by irenesbob; 06-15-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Every polish seems to get some result when applied
Sadly enough, the most scratches affect the transparent laquer above the actual colored paint, and after a week, the scratches appear again.
The only two way to go are :
- for minor scratches, compound rubbing until the scratch is gone, then polish up until the shine reappears (needs care and patience)
- for heavy scratches : let a professional do it for you (more expensive, but by far more efficient)
You also can choose not to look all the time at the first scratch (every car in daily use has got scratches...) and you will less worry about the second one ;+)