Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Semi Metallic or Ceramic Brake Pads ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Semi Metallic or Ceramic Brake Pads ?

I have a 2013 Audi Q5 Premium Plus . I am planning to change on Brake Pads and Rotors as advised by the dealership based on their inspection .

For the Rotors I have narrowed down to Zimmermann Rotors . I am little confused about the choice between High Quality Ceramic Pads vs Semi Metallic Pads

There are few Cons I have heard about Ceramic Pads ( even high ends like Brembo etc. ) which is the braking is not as great as Semi Metallic . Also they are not good in terms of heat transfer and in turn can damage the other braking pads . I have also read that Semi Metallic are really good for big cars and SUV's

I would like to have an honest opinion as to which one I should go for considering pros and cons for both Ceramic and Semi Metallic .
Old 01-12-2017, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 390 Likes on 351 Posts

To keep it simple, the ceramic pads are generally VERY good except for that initial bite. They are super clean and e-z on the rotor.

Semi-metallic pads have been around for years and have great initial bite, but produce some dust. They're a good solution for many.

I've been removing the OE ceramic pads from our Audis. I dis-like them that much. I've been re-fitting with semi-metallic pads from Centric. That restores normal braking capabilities and minor dusting.

Both our Q5 and A4 are fitted with ceramic pads from the factory. The pedal effort is insanely high on the Q5, IME. I wish the pad mfrs could find a reasonable compromise for pedal effort and brake dust. Present ceramic pads are bordering on "unacceptable" for me. I wish I could say otherwise.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts

I prefer the initial bite and greater friction coefficient of semi metallic pads. I can live with the dust and occasional squeal. Centric's graphics are pretty consistent with my experience.

BRAKE FRICTION - Centric Parts
Old 01-12-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Also, FWIW, the ceramic pads are not fitted to higher performing Audis.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the following OEM Brake Pads installed ( Rear ) . These look like Semi Metallic .

I usually do normal Office to Home Driving with occasional Long Road Trips .

Also I wanted to know about two things Few places I read conflicting statements that Ceramic Pads especially those from Brembo tend to have good stoping power whereas some places saying that Ceramic Pads in general have lower Braking power as compared to Semi Metallic .

Also I have heard that Ceramic Pads dissipate less heat compared to semi metallic .

Any thoughts ?
Old 01-12-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I can't view your pictures.

You suggest your are a typical driver. Why are you concerned about heat dissipation under nominal driving conditions?

Here are graphs from Centric showing ceramic (#105) vs. semi metallic (#104):
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is the Link .

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I can't view your pictures.

You suggest your are a typical driver. Why are you concerned about heat dissipation under nominal driving conditions?

Here are graphs from Centric showing ceramic (#105) vs. semi metallic (#104):

Last edited by rtyagi2; 01-12-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

key differences between ceramic and semi-metallic brake pads:
  1. Braking performance: Ceramic brake pads offer better stopping power than semi-metallic brake pads, especially in wet conditions. This is because ceramic brake pads are more resistant to heat fade, which is when the brake pads become too hot and lose their ability to stop the car effectively.
  2. Noise: Ceramic brake pads are quieter than semi-metallic brake pads. This is because ceramic brake pads do not contain any metal, which can cause squealing or grinding noises when the brakes are applied.
  3. Durability: Ceramic brake pads are more durable than semi-metallic brake pads. This is because ceramic brake pads are less likely to wear out or become damaged, even under heavy braking conditions.

Here is full post explaining all this in detail. https://neilsgarage.com/ceramic-vs-s...ic-brake-pads/
Old 06-02-2023, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,749 Posts

The minute difference in any measurable performance aspect between the semi-metallics and ceramics you're going to put on a Q5 will be generally unnoticed in public road driving. Semi-metallics will ramp up the clamping force more immediately ("bite"), ceramics will dust a more neutral color (they still dust as much, it's just a color that doesn't really darken the wheel). But ceramics can stop plenty fine, just ask the deer that got to walk away last night as I came around a corner.

Can't speak to Audi's choice of ceramic pads (I still think we're waiting to really confirm they are "ceramic") if you have those off PR codes. Mine came with "normal pads", and used those for 160k until I replaced them with Akebono ceramic; have no complaints. The dusting is definitely less noticed, but it's still obvious before and after washing them. There's nothing about the braking performance that I would complain about that wasn't there with the original pads (the brake system in general, and the ABS specifically, simply sucks compared to a 2003 G35, for example).

So Akebonos, Centrics, it's not really going to matter. Pick one, try it out. Don't like it, try the other.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by neilferguson
key differences between ceramic and semi-metallic brake pads:
  1. Braking performance: Ceramic brake pads offer better stopping power than semi-metallic brake pads, especially in wet conditions. This is because ceramic brake pads are more resistant to heat fade, which is when the brake pads become too hot and lose their ability to stop the car effectively.
  2. Noise: Ceramic brake pads are quieter than semi-metallic brake pads. This is because ceramic brake pads do not contain any metal, which can cause squealing or grinding noises when the brakes are applied.
  3. Durability: Ceramic brake pads are more durable than semi-metallic brake pads. This is because ceramic brake pads are less likely to wear out or become damaged, even under heavy braking conditions.

Here is full post explaining all this in detail. https://neilsgarage.com/ceramic-vs-s...ic-brake-pads/
If you want to advertise your website, there is a way to do it, you have to become a sponsor

Real ceramic brake pads, they also require real ceramic discs

A set of ceramic disks 400x38mm and a pads is about 11,000 EUR
A set of standard discs 400x38mm and a pads is around 900 EUR
These are the prices of original Audi parts

Last edited by spijun; 06-03-2023 at 11:15 AM.