Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Service Delays

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Delays

Has anyone else seen your access to Audi service go from next day, to several days, to next week, to today I was told the week after next? This is before they can even get to it. We have a couple of issues to have looked at in addition to the 60K service so I want to use Audi as I expect the issues to be covered under the emissions warranty. Otherwise, I'd go back to the Inde shop we have used for standard service. The Walser conglomerate that just about owns the entire Midwest took over all the local luxury dealerships in the last few years. The gal I talked to today when I called the local service number was just a gal working out of her home in Minnesota, not the service dept here in Wichita.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I called on 1/2 and had to wait until 1/15 for my 35K service. That was longer than normal for Knoxville.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

No big delays in the Dallas metro area, unless you want a loaner. Then you have to wait a week or so.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing like that here in Westchester, NY area...
I usually arrange a week, or two, in advance so I can get a free loaner.
The service team have always been quick to respond.

Jason
New York
Old 01-31-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

When they ask "When would you like to come in?" I usually ask "How about in a half hour or so?" just so I can hear the panicked Donald Duck sqwuaking "But but but but but no!" Then I'll ask, equally reasonable, "Oh, so in a couple of hours?" and before they have a heart attack offer something like the next day or two.

I think once I had to wait a week, mainly because I try to get in first thing so there's no delay getting around to the car. Usually, I can get something in 24-72 hours, and that's all been for routine work, no emergencies.

Sounds like either the OP's chain is using new service scheduling software, or has lost some mechanics, or been too successful at selling cars and getting business. Scheduling service was a hot topic in the 80's, before there were computers to do it. Figuring out just how long each job will take, how many mechanics will be out, who'll take overtime, and trying to get it all done so the customer doesn't have to wait hours for a late job, can be quite a dance. Some shops (just like doctors offices) try to just jam everyone in...which usually doesn't work out so well either.

Could be worth just asking them "Why so long a delay? It always used to be 48 hours, what's going on?"
Old 02-01-2019, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect this is just the Walser Conglomerate causing this. The gal I talked to was working out of her home up in Minnesota scheduling for down here in Wichita. I'm not sure, short of driving to the dealer, how to even talk to someone local? It's ridiculous. Add in we ordered a new Landrover Discovery TD6 last August and we are still waiting on that too, I suspect this Walser outfit is too big for its ability to function.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Just got oil and cabin filter done. Made a appt. Was in at 8am and done by 11:30 Something else. Only have 22,800 and they wanted to do the 35K service. I said hell, you just did the 25k service last year. They said it's bt years, not mileage. I of course said no, I'd wait till I'm at least in the 30K range. She said well ok but we won't reset the service reminder.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Shokead-
The conglomerate probably has forwarded the main customer lines to a central service, and is probably using a pool of home operators to plug "all" of the customers into one servicing app that spans all the dealerships. That's just efficient use of resources, it really doesn't matter where the desks are. (Wait till they try to cut costs and use China and the Philippines.)
But, good service would allow any of those calls to be transferred to someone AT a specific dealership. Case in point, 35 years ago, you could call any local US Coast Guard station, and the call could be transferred to any more appropriate station (i.e. district hq's) or even down to the Caribbean stations if the problem needed local input there. 3M and GE have done this for decades as well, I called a 3M division from NY one day and wound up on the phone to Australia, where the product was actually originated. And the system works--when it is set up right.
Someone can give you the local direct number for the dealership. They may have transferred all of the numbers that appear on your old service invoices, but one of them may still get through. Otherwise, SOMEone at the dealership can give you a real number.
Meanwhile, you take a sleeping bag and camp in the showroom. You get free coffee and entertainment for a month. That's good, right?(G)