Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Should I Add Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Add Nav

So my dealer is currently trying to locate a 2013 black on brown Q5 2.0T with the conv package and the lighting package. Should I add the Nav? is it worth the extra 4k? At first not getting it felt like a no brainer because I have a portable GPS but now Im regretting the decision.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Up to you....
the 'neatness' of the backup camera, etc... is nice,
but given that previous versions have not been supported by Audi -
my experience says no....

BUT,
think nav will be a 'must have' at resale time in the future...

so,
IF this 13 version is google maps
AND is coded well
AND the reception is good all the time
AND the traffic portion is better than the sirus version
AND you don't mind paying a monthly connection fee for life....
maybe
Old 12-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another thing to consider is the value of the parking system. In some cases, it's definitely more than a "neatness" factor. If you live in the city and you're parking lot in tight spaces it can be very helpful.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good points listed below. We bought a 2013 a couple of weeks ago and went with the nav. $4k is a lot of money but we wanted the features and convenience of the integrated system. We should get back a portion of the cost back at trade in time. So in our case it was worth it. You'll just need to weigh the pros and cons in your case for what's best. I'm sure it's easier to find one with nav than without.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

All good points, still up in the air might go in today and see if the dealer can add the nav, but still weighing the.pros and cons. Does anyone know if you have to pay for updates yearly?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Thrylos
All good points, still up in the air might go in today and see if the dealer can add the nav, but still weighing the.pros and cons. Does anyone know if you have to pay for updates yearly?
It's not so much the Nav that I wanted, but the other things that came w/the package like backup camera. The Q5's rear windshield is tinted darker than any other vehicle I've owned and I live on a busy pedestrian street. The backup camera saved me from hitting a reckless kid at night time once already.

Also, I agree with the comment about resale value. Who would want to purchase an Audi a few years from now if it doesn't have the nicer Nav screen? It's a feature that's expected to be on any base-model luxury car since most $30k Japanese cars come with one now!

Last edited by Parsec; 12-08-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I never use the NAV, but I'd get it time and time again for the package. Makes the dash look more complete how it puts the buttons lower by the cupholers, easier to use the MMI as a whole, the backup camera is a victory in itself, and for resale value it's a must.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Back up camera and the parking sensors by themselves is worth the money IMHO.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
IF this 13 version is google maps
AND is coded well
AND the reception is good all the time
AND the traffic portion is better than the sirus version
AND you don't mind paying a monthly connection fee for life....
From what I've read (which I've only read, so take that for what it's worth), there's still the "standard" map data (streets, POIs, etc.) underneath for the navigation data itself and still Sirius for traffic, so what you get by being online is Google Earth imagery and some additional online features like finding gas prices, as well as the "WiFi hotspot" feature (though you can do that in other ways by tethering to your phone).

I'm going to get it regardless, and hopefully some of that info I'd seen wasn't quite right and it's able to pull map data from Google to update the underlying data (or at least use updated navigation while online), but it's a good package to get for other reasons even if you don't really care about the nav itself (such as the backup camera and the placement of the MMI controls).

As for reception by the system, as it's on T-mobile (unless you swap the SIM), you'll get reception wherever T-mo has service (T-mo has better server in metro areas, usually less good outside, but to be fair that I haven't noticed much different from AT&T in that regard even on trips in the middle of nowhere Texas).
Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF happen with my post?
Well let me retype again - from all what I read here from 2009 - it's a shame, that Audi left their customer strangle for few years with out proper update, for unit that cost $3k.
Q5 will be for my wife - with her sense of direction - this will be well spend 3K

Quick Reply: Should I Add Nav