Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Show Us Your Smart Phone Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Show Us Your Smart Phone Mounting

New York State just increased the fines and violation points for using a handheld device while driving. The violation applies even sitting at a traffic light. While the MMI hands free voice commands are compliant, in terms of interfacing with your smart phone for other applications such as Pandora radio requires a fixed mount to the vehicle for the smart phone.

I think it would be a good thread for folks to post photos and descriptions of their favorite smart phone mounts and where they are mounted in your Audi.

I currently have a suction cup mount but it constantly falls off.

I look forward to your posts.

Dennis

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 07-25-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is my mount
Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie

Here is my mount
Haha, only in the Midwest and West with their open roads and no traffic (well, except maybe California)!

I don't use a mount because I don't use apps while in the car. If I do want to use Pandora I would just set it up after I start my engine, but before I start driving.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reggie

Here is my mount
The tiny pocket is for the tiny phones...
Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a Proclip mount in my 2001 TT and it works great - it attaches to the middle console (actually to one of the side bars) without having to drill into it or anything.

It works well - both for my old Galaxy S2 and my Lumia 920. I just buy a new holder to match the new phone when I get one.

The phone is visible and within reach but doesn't slip or tilt away. I've synched the phone via Bluetooth to my in-dash head unit (which I recently replaced; it's not stock).

I'll post a pic later.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
New York State just increased the fines and violation points for using a handheld device while driving. The violation applies even sitting at a traffic light. While the MMI hands free voice commands are compliant, in terms of interfacing with your smart phone for other applications such as Pandora radio requires a fixed mount to the vehicle for the smart phone.
So another case of purportedly good bureaucratic intentions being circumvented by idiocy? Oh my... I guess fixing the phone in 1 place prevents me from digging under the seat while driving (still legal) for my "mobile" phone? OK. Sorry for my little soap-box tirade

Honestly, my phone ends up charging in the cup-holder or armrest majority of the time. Google Play launches automatically if I hit the car's Media button and I can do most anything phone-related through voice command.

Sporadic Phone Nav is the only thing I really look at the phone for, and for the moment Nav is still a legal hand-held use in Illinois.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

No mount needed. Just place it in the slot between the cup holder and center console.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk12
No mount needed. Just place it in the slot between the cup holder and center console.
Thanks. The point of my thread is to locate the phone such that you operate the phone apps (tune Pandora or Slacker) or pressing the voice command feature of phone without holding the phone. The slot in front of center console would not permit you to operate the phone hands free (at least single handed).
Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to take a pic of my phone, but realized, I can't take a pic of my phone, since my phone is my camera.

I just leave mine on top of the ashtray cover (closed). Phone on one side, wallet on other. When both are side beside they don't slide and it's a perfect fit.

When it needs to charge its usually in the cupholder tho.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hope I'm not digging up a dead thread but I'd like to have my smartphone in view because of the nav mapping which is better than this outdated and mismanaged MMI Nav. While my phone "speaks" to me, I'd like to be able to glance over (vs. down in my cup holder) to get a visual.

The ProClip looks tastey because it appears to be the least invasive. Would just like the opinion from anyone using in the Q5.

Quick Reply: Show Us Your Smart Phone Mounting