Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Side Assist

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So some people use side assist as a replacement for a visual check? That worries me. Like Coolieman said, it makes some drivers lazy. Once a driver builds the habit, then drives a different vehicle w/o side assist, look out! I do that constantly with Audi's "soft start" and "lane change" blinker feature. My son's Jeep has neither and I can't seem to retrain myself when driving his car.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
So some people use side assist as a replacement for a visual check? That worries me. Like Coolieman said, it makes some drivers lazy. Once a driver builds the habit, then drives a different vehicle w/o side assist, look out! I do that constantly with Audi's "soft start" and "lane change" blinker feature. My son's Jeep has neither and I can't seem to retrain myself when driving his car.
Talk about getting lazy.. I had a Jeep and a Saab at one point. The Saab had rear backup detector and of course the Jeep did not. More than once I almost plowed another car because I was waiting to hear a beep when I was driving the Jeep.

We get too focused on the sounds our cars make and don't pay attention to our actual driving. A guy at work once had a rental with a nav system and was driving some other folks around. The nav said turn left at the light so he did. The folks in the car said why did you run the light? He said oh didn't notice, the nav told me to turn.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
If you are referring to my comment, you misunderstood, at best. I still practice good technique in my regular visual scan that includes the mirrors. Only when I consider a lane change does side assist come in to play: Active light= maintain forward vision and resume normal scan routine. No active light= begin mirror/shoulder check for traffic before initiating lane change routine. Used this way, side assist is a valuable convenience, reduces fatigue in traffic, and doesn't short circuit proper driving technique.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjeffrey
I have it on my Q5 and I don't find it useless.
It is a bit too sensitive which then forces me to check my dead angle for a car. What I mean is that I know a car is close to my dead angle but I can change lane without cutting him/her off the light flashes and makes me check to make sure I didn't miss anything and can safely change lane. So I almost treat it like a reminder to check.
Not sure if you've done it yet but you can adjust the sensitivity in the set-up menu. I think it's still too sensitive when adjusted but it's better than the standard setting.