Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sigh... Time to get a dipstick.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, I'm under the delusion that an Audi dealer sold me an Audi part designed for this specific Audi engine. Designed to be used, and left in place, for this engine all the time. And conveniently interrupting the airflow from the radiator, which of course might make my engine overheat and slag down, if MY dealer is really right about how dangerous these things could be.

I'd better ask him to install a couple of extra thermal gauges so I can monitor that before there's a bigger problem, huh? (WEG)

Lacking the garage, or a proper Audi-certified nail to hang the dipstick on, I take the great risk of leaving it "where God and Henry Ford intended" a dipstick to be. In the engine.

I've since found another Audi dealer who appears to have hired adults for their service operations. Three times further away from me, but the sight of the dipstick didn't scare them at all. I wonder, which one should I give my future business to....(G)
Old 03-09-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Well, I'm under the delusion that an Audi dealer sold me an Audi part designed for this specific Audi engine. Designed to be used, and left in place, for this engine all the time. And conveniently interrupting the airflow from the radiator, which of course might make my engine overheat and slag down, if MY dealer is really right about how dangerous these things could be.

I'd better ask him to install a couple of extra thermal gauges so I can monitor that before there's a bigger problem, huh? (WEG)

Lacking the garage, or a proper Audi-certified nail to hang the dipstick on, I take the great risk of leaving it "where God and Henry Ford intended" a dipstick to be. In the engine.

I've since found another Audi dealer who appears to have hired adults for their service operations. Three times further away from me, but the sight of the dipstick didn't scare them at all. I wonder, which one should I give my future business to....(G)
is that what the call sarcasm?
Old 03-10-2015, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
Don't tell my dealer, but it's an AFTER-MARKET nail. I just painted four rings on it using my daughter's black fingernail polish.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new here. I just got my Q5 TDI last Friday and have put 300 miles on it. Great so far. I've never had a vehicle without a dipstick and all my research told me there isn't one for the 2015 TDI. On a lark, I ordered for for a 2010+ Touareg TDI (part #059-115-611-AA). The dipstick came today. Yes, it does not fit into the "dipstick tube." It won't stay there and wants to pop out. However, with little effort you can the dipstick down the tube completely and it shows my crankcase to be full and this correlated with my electronic oil monitoring on the MMI. I just put the cap back on the dipstick tube and cleaned off the dipstick and it's now stored in the back next to the spare.

Scott
Old 04-09-2015, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ScottOgle
I'm new here. I just got my Q5 TDI last Friday and have put 300 miles on it. Great so far. I've never had a vehicle without a dipstick and all my research told me there isn't one for the 2015 TDI. On a lark, I ordered for for a 2010+ Touareg TDI (part #059-115-611-AA). The dipstick came today. Yes, it does not fit into the "dipstick tube." It won't stay there and wants to pop out. However, with little effort you can the dipstick down the tube completely and it shows my crankcase to be full and this correlated with my electronic oil monitoring on the MMI. I just put the cap back on the dipstick tube and cleaned off the dipstick and it's now stored in the back next to the spare.

Scott
I hope you don't bust something off jamming the dipstick in there…Crazy that a car doesn't come with a dipstick (but has a dipstick tube)
Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did your replacement look like this?

Engine Oil Dipstick - ECS Tuning
06E115611H - Engine Oil Dipstick - ES#280765

EDIT: Yup, looks exactly the same--probably _is_ the same. Of course.

Last edited by Saintsfanatik; 04-09-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not exactly. It's yellow and there are two, small opposing notches at the base of the handle just above the O-ring; I'll probably whittle these away as that's what is probably hindering an unforced insertion...the dipstick still slid into the tube OK. It is 22 inches long, exactly, from the tip to the base of the handle. This dipstick gives me what I need....a manual method of confirming my oil use. I'll monitor the oil as I rack up miles and change the oil (I'll do that myself) every 5K miles. I don't plan to leave this dipstick in the "dipstick tube" provided by Audi as it was not designed to do so. At least Audi has a tube....I think BMW owners (and owners of other makes) are getting short changed without a dipstick or at least the tube.

Scott
Old 04-12-2015, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find it best if I don't touch anything but the steering wheel, the shifter and the gas pedal.....
Old 04-12-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saintsfanatik
Did your replacement look like this?

Engine Oil Dipstick - ECS Tuning
06E115611H - Engine Oil Dipstick - ES#280765

EDIT: Yup, looks exactly the same--probably _is_ the same. Of course.
I believe the correct part number for the 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI oil dipstick is 059115611AB.