Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Silly (not) battery question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't *try* to deep cycle it, but sometimes will be the only power source available (and transportable complete with its own charging source) that I can use.

Also, if you simply park the car and go away for six or eight weeks, you'll find the battery has been pretty deeply cycled, just by the car. Had an unexpected long absence like that, and came back to find it stone cold dead. No, there's nothing wrong with the electrics, the car simply sips more power, for longer times, than is always optimum.

And given the size of the battery? Replacing an SLI battery with a deep cycle will be perfectly fine. Deep cycles of that size can easily provide the impulse power that an SLI battery would. Remember, even a 12Ah battery can start engines of this size.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I don't *try* to deep cycle it, but sometimes will be the only power source available (and transportable complete with its own charging source) that I can use.

Also, if you simply park the car and go away for six or eight weeks, you'll find the battery has been pretty deeply cycled, just by the car. Had an unexpected long absence like that, and came back to find it stone cold dead. No, there's nothing wrong with the electrics, the car simply sips more power, for longer times, than is always optimum.

And given the size of the battery? Replacing an SLI battery with a deep cycle will be perfectly fine. Deep cycles of that size can easily provide the impulse power that an SLI battery would. Remember, even a 12Ah battery can start engines of this size.
Understand,,,,,,,,,

I'm not sure if you know that the Q5 Power Management system, systematically shuts off power consuming circuits over time to try and maintain enough juice to start the vehicle during long term storage. Yes there will be a point where the battery just dies during that extra long storage time.

It sounds like a plug-in trickle charger is not an option for you?

How about a windshield solar panel to trickle charge?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, Bob. I'm familiar with the power management system and rate it an "F" because there is no provision for user control or programming. For instance, I can't tell it "listen for a key fob every 10 seconds, then go to 60 seconds after 48 hours". Or, tell it to listen ONLY at the driver's door radio, don't waste power on the rest. It does what it does in mystery, not really "managing" anything.

And I've already taken care of the long term trickle (maintenance) charging. Which shouldn't be an issue, but when I had to go, I had to go, and let the car deal with itself.

Bottom line is that as long as I'm buying one new "similar" battery for another purpose...this would be a good time to upgrade the car's battery with something better suited, and us it for the "good enough" other task.

AGM batteries in that size can run a fast $200, even from distributors. Without Audi (Bosch) logos. So, why not take advantage of it at the same time?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Little solar panel on the roof to keep it topped off? Only 1/2 joking.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought I had said that was already taken care of?
Small strontium pile installed in the place the spare tire used to be, actually. (WEG)

Seen that the "spare tire kit" is entirely optional and extra on some Acura's now.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Bosch and AC Delco both show AGM batteries for the car. Bosch only shows one for all Q5's (on Amazon anyway) while AC Delco shows two, one "wider" and the other "fatter", Group 48 and Group 49 if I read them right.

But dual batteries are actually a stock option in the EU. Spijun forwarded some information to me, apparently the Q5 is used as a medical or emergency response vehicle, and can be factory ordered with dual batteries and other niceties that we are not told about.

I had dual batteries on another car. Just wired up #2 to feed off a Yandina/West battery combiner and cabled it back with #2AWG cables--with the positive fused at both ends, just in case. The only problem is that the alternator on that car wasn't particularly bright, and AGMs can be very hungry, so they can overheat an alternator and shorten its life.

I expect the Audi stock setup does something to accommodate that but you'd probably need to contact Audi in Germany to enquire.
I assume you know that the Q5 TDI has a 110ah battery (to drive the auxiliary heater element) while the gas powered models have 80ah batteries. Doubt that there are different alternators for the TDI, but I am not sure.

Also Bosch web site https://www.boschautoparts.com/auto lists 11 different batteries compatible with the Q5 TDI. Probably need Spijun to sort this all out.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Of the Bosch batteries, shown as fitting the 2.0T flex engine, only three are AGM (sealed, not wet cell) and one of those, S6588B, is rated 760CCA, and 850 CCA (for the same battery?!) significantly higher than stock. So despite Bosch's lack of standard group numbers or other (there there dear, don't you worry your silly head over numbers) conventions, that's apparently the heftiest one they make to fit the car. Interesting that they say the one model number is available in different group sizes.

I might hold out for a TPPL (thin plate pure lead) like the Odyssey, or one of the new carbon-foam AGMs instead. Both are significantly better than conventional flat plate AGMs.

Diesels usually are provided with a more powerful battery, because they have roughly 3x the compression and are roughly 3x harder to start.

Or I could put in a 17AH battery, maybe ten pounds, save 30 pounds of dead weight and get so much better handling and mpg.(G)
Old 03-19-2016, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I realize this is an old thread... forgive me... is the stock battery standard/wet cell or AGM? 2015 3.0T, if that matters.

Thanks!

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 03-19-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Stock battery is AGM. Specifically a Bosch AGM with a "group" number that will baffle your local auto parts chain.(G) But Amazon sells both Delco and Bosch replacements, apparently in slightly different sizes depending on your options.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock battery is AGM.
Dang it. In that case i used the wrong setting on my charger when charging it last night.

Quick Reply: Silly (not) battery question