Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

A simple oil change at Audi Arlington

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barraged
I took my Q5 TDI for its 25,000 mile service (22,000 to be precise). I have Audi Care.

I picked up my car and on the way home, the low oil message came on. When I checked the MMI, it would not show the level, instead instructing me to drive to the dealer, which I did.

I told my Service Advisor what had happened and asked him how this could happen. He said that the technician made a mistake...WTF? Jiffy Lube makes mistakes, but a simple oil change at a major Audi dealer should not be a problem. When I got home I checked the MMI and it showed the oil level at "min". When I took it in it showed "max". I checked the dipstick (one I purchased) and it looks as if there is sufficient oil.

I got an email from my Service Advisor asking me to complete the satisfaction surgery and explaining that any score less than a 10 is not good. I sent him an email last night stating my disappointment with the service I received and asked him to call me to discuss it.

I would like to ask other forum members for your feedback as I am sure this has happened to others.

Thanks...
Sorry about your troubles and hope for favorable resolution.
If you do not mind, Pls share where you bought the dipstick and the part number.
I have seen discussion on dipstick but have not been able to verify correct part number for TDI. From the mileage, I suspect yours is a 2015 Q5 TDI model.
Thx
Old 10-28-2016, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This is the one I ordered. I'm not 100% sure it's the perfect one, but it fits, does does hit the bottom of the oil pan, and appears to show oil level, as in when full the tip has oil on it about 50% up the hash marks...hope that helps.

Engine Oil Dipstick (ECS Tuning)
ES#: 2644214

I will be taking my 2015 Q5 TDI back to the dealer for its second 25,000 mile service. He said that a senior service tech will be doing it this time. He also offered to pick it up at my home drive to/from the dealer... didn't want anyone else driving it, so it's trip #3. Also offered to fill it up with fuel. Hope it's diesel. Tempted to ask him to update the nav system gratis. If he doesn't I will probably use my Audi credit card...
Old 10-28-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Bob-
What's with the delay? Most sensors would indicate the oil level "now" in real time, or whenever they were polled for it. Don't tell me that Audi is so over-engineered that the oil sensor takes a 24-hour average to detect anything, rather than showing a problem (like an oil leak) in real time?!
Read and weep!

The electronic oil level displayDescription of "Dynamic measurement" system

Measurement takes place while the car is in motion............

► Conditions required: v > 5 km/h, n < 3000 diesel, 4000 petrol, engine oil temperature (TOEL) > 60°C, distance travelled min. 50 km (100 km for 4-cyl. diesel engines), 1000 measured values

► Quality characteristic map for longitudinal and lateral acceleration; signals are weighted differently (factor 0–3)
"Good" signals are rated 3-fold; "bad" ones 0–1-fold (when accelerating quickly)

► Minimum of 2 characteristic maps for engaged oil pump

► Gradient filter for sensor raw signal (suppress if the sensor signal changes too quickly)

► Difference between sensor value and characteristic map (n/TOEL) causes a value x mm over min.

► A summation across X measured values shows a new measured value every approx. 50 km or 100 km

► Display in the MMI remains unchanged until a new measured value has been formed or the bonnet has been open for more than 30 secs. A measured value < 0 triggers a min. warning, which is displayed in the DIS and MMI

► Opening the bonnet triggers a min. warning reset; if more than 0.25 l has been added, the min. warning will be permanently withdrawn, in all other cases it will be triggered again after 50 km (100 km for 4-cyl. diesel engines) (refill hysteresis
Old 10-28-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Holy crap... how the hell did you come by this information?? It's nuts.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try this

My Audi is no longer under warranty so I take my OWN oil and filter to my local auto shop and tell them to use what I brought and nothing else.
Thus the charge is for labor only and not the traditional 100% mark up on oil and filter. That way you are assured that the amount and type of oil is correct and not some cheap crap substitute for which they charge you the synthetic price.

Last edited by Firefighter; 10-28-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Bob-
What's with the delay? Most sensors would indicate the oil level "now" in real time, or whenever they were polled for it. Don't tell me that Audi is so over-engineered that the oil sensor takes a 24-hour average to detect anything, rather than showing a problem (like an oil leak) in real time?!
If you had a massive oil leak, then I'd suspect the oil pressure sensor would trigger some warning. Or do our cars not have an oil pressure sensor?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
If you had a massive oil leak, then I'd suspect the oil pressure sensor would trigger some warning. Or do our cars not have an oil pressure sensor?
Yes the engine has am oil pressure sensor. Oil level doesn't really mean too much compared to oil pressure. As long as 1 or 2 quarts of oil are circulating through
the engine and the correct pressure is still maintained, no oil pressure warning will be displayed even though there is less than half the required oil in the engine. Is this low
oil level good for the engine, no. Especially if you drove around, and at speed, you could destroy the engine.

If you never had a oil level sensor, just an old school oil dip stick, and had a leak, and never check your oil level often, eventually the oil pressure
warning would come on. This doesn't mean that you actually fried you engine. If you stopped quick enough and turned off the engine, put in more oil you
would be able to go get it repaired as long as the leak was small.

You must also remember that oil is part of the cooling system, the oil absorbs heat from the bearing surfaces, cylinder walls, valve train, etc.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 10-28-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I love this forum

Gotta tell you, this forum is the best part of owning an Audi. You guys (and ladies) collectively have a knowledge base second to none. I, for one, so appreciate the feedback and suggestions offered.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different discussion, but I hate when dealers tell you to give them 10s for everything in those surveys.

You want 10s, make sure your service is perfect!
Old 10-29-2016, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

"If you had a massive oil leak, then I'd suspect the oil pressure sensor would trigger some warning." Of course the pressure sensor will only tell you that you no longer have enough oil to run, it won't warn you that a pint has leaked out. With the oil pan hidden and protected by a road pan, probably not an issue. Especially when the dealers are so reluctant to touch the oil drain plug, and the most common big leaks are from oil drain plugs that have worked loose or been cross-threaded.

That's an incredible "averaging" system being used to eliminate the effects of normal slosh on the oil level. I'm really shocked that Audi doesn't just put solid-state strain gauges in all the engine mounts, so they can monitor the weight of the engine, and then simply calculate the amount of oil by the variation in weight. (WEG)

Reminds me of a possibly apocryphal story about the original IBM Selectric typewriters. The engineers proudly showed their new design and how much incredibly faster it could print (as a mainframe printer and other automated uses, not just for typists) and the executives looked it all over and said it was too complicated, it would need maintenance all the time just to keep it running. And then Sales said "Yes, a marvelous opportunity to sell service contracts!" (And if you owned one of those systems, yes, you damned well had a service contract.)
I wonder if there is a UN Commission that can bring charges of "Abuse of technology" against Audi? (sigh)

On those dealers who always ask for a ten....Some at least are more subtle and just say "We're always trying for a ten, we're reviewed and rated on it so your feedback is important to us. If we haven't...then let us know..." while others just outright ask you to rate them ten. Either way, AoA policy is to give minor demerits to those dealers who outright tell customers to give them tens. Or so they say.

I've never heard of any carmaker pulling any franchise because of customer complaints. Even when a shop received years of gross complaints about outright frauds. Funny thing, huh?

Quick Reply: A simple oil change at Audi Arlington