Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Siri Works!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I need a place to hide a body!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tomashek
Wow! Are you for real? You need help! fast!!!
Tom some of us are technical and do not have Apple phones - and hence our life is not revolving around gimmicks
Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
Tom some of us are technical and do not have Apple phones - and hence our life is not revolving around gimmicks
Glad to hear it works with Siri...
Having said that... As much as I was hoping to like it, Siri seems like a distraction.
1. It will only read new texts. It won't read any emails.
2. The voice dial isn't near as accurate as the old voice dial (when you did last name, first name, location)
3. dictation accuracy is ok... but you have to check it and there are often mistakes.. so it ends up being a distraction.
4. out of luck when not connected to network.

lots of other probs.
Basically, it is not ready for prime time. Very disappointing. I think most people won't use it.
Actually considering taking back my 4s and getting a Galaxy 2s droid with a bigger screen. Anyone have any compatibility experience with that one?

thx
Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by radman2020
Glad to hear it works with Siri...
Having said that... As much as I was hoping to like it, Siri seems like a distraction.
1. It will only read new texts. It won't read any emails.
2. The voice dial isn't near as accurate as the old voice dial (when you did last name, first name, location)
3. dictation accuracy is ok... but you have to check it and there are often mistakes.. so it ends up being a distraction.
4. out of luck when not connected to network.

lots of other probs.
Basically, it is not ready for prime time. Very disappointing. I think most people won't use it.
Actually considering taking back my 4s and getting a Galaxy 2s droid with a bigger screen. Anyone have any compatibility experience with that one?

thx
I guess your review is totally different than every other journalist our there. This is a game changer, and it's a major advancement in technology in general (not just in phones, in OS and other devices too)

1. Apple stated that it's still currently in BETA meaning it will add more APIs for third party to take advantage of. Soon, there will be email, twitter, Facebook and other supports

2 & 3. Voice dialing is excellent, accurate and fast. Dictation is spot on 100% for me. I've tried other dictation software and this is by far more advance than anything out there in the market today.

4. This is true for some items, some stuff can be done on the phone without network. the only thing requires network is dictation & search. I am able to move my appointments, looks up birthdays, play music all without network. Stuff needs work obviously need network such as google search and dictation

Good luck on your galaxy 2.... since apple sold over 4 million over the weekend, they don't mind losing a sale from you.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eggyacid
I guess your review is totally different than every other journalist our there. This is a game changer, and it's a major advancement in technology in general (not just in phones, in OS and other devices too)

1. Apple stated that it's still currently in BETA meaning it will add more APIs for third party to take advantage of. Soon, there will be email, twitter, Facebook and other supports

2 & 3. Voice dialing is excellent, accurate and fast. Dictation is spot on 100% for me. I've tried other dictation software and this is by far more advance than anything out there in the market today.

4. This is true for some items, some stuff can be done on the phone without network. the only thing requires network is dictation & search. I am able to move my appointments, looks up birthdays, play music all without network. Stuff needs work obviously need network such as google search and dictation

Good luck on your galaxy 2.... since apple sold over 4 million over the weekend, they don't mind losing a sale from you.
Great if it works for you. I looked at all those reviews obsessively. Most were written before anyone actually got the iphone. The most famous was David Pogue's review in the New York Times. He did have one but used it for a very short time. He called it magical....and then was roundly criticized for being a shill for Apple (turns out he has written 2 books on apple products). There was an enormous negative response to his article criticizing his journalistic bias.

Agree. It is in beta and will undoubtedly get better.

Agree. Dictation is good. I use nuance for my job and it is 99% accurate. That means it gets 1 out of 100 words wrong..which is enough to have to check...which is a distraction. It will read back to you for texts (not emails) but you have to know to say "review"

Voice dialing is not as accurate as it was. You could say "Last name" "First Name" "home or mobile" and it was spot on. Now you must use conversation style and in my experience (no accent), it has messed it up often. I assume it will get better on this as it learns my voice. But it still isn't as quick.

It does need the network. It would make sense for it not to need it for reminders etc... but turn off your network and get away from 3G and try it. It won't work. It uses the network for a big part of its functionality... not just search and dictation (or weather, directions etc).

Yes, they sold a record number over the weekend..including to me (temporarily). And that is because it is a great phone...and the siri was touted as the NEXT GREAT THING... a life changer. It is my humble opinion that it will be very little used.. and when it is used, it will not be used any more than vlingo on android. It will certainly not be a life changer in its present form. I was hoping it was...believe me. Watch the hype dissolve as people start to use it....
Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by radman2020
Great if it works for you. I looked at all those reviews obsessively. Most were written before anyone actually got the iphone. The most famous was David Pogue's review in the New York Times. He did have one but used it for a very short time. He called it magical....and then was roundly criticized for being a shill for Apple (turns out he has written 2 books on apple products). There was an enormous negative response to his article criticizing his journalistic bias.

Agree. It is in beta and will undoubtedly get better.

Agree. Dictation is good. I use nuance for my job and it is 99% accurate. That means it gets 1 out of 100 words wrong..which is enough to have to check...which is a distraction. It will read back to you for texts (not emails) but you have to know to say "review"

Voice dialing is not as accurate as it was. You could say "Last name" "First Name" "home or mobile" and it was spot on. Now you must use conversation style and in my experience (no accent), it has messed it up often. I assume it will get better on this as it learns my voice. But it still isn't as quick.

It does need the network. It would make sense for it not to need it for reminders etc... but turn off your network and get away from 3G and try it. It won't work. It uses the network for a big part of its functionality... not just search and dictation (or weather, directions etc).

Yes, they sold a record number over the weekend..including to me (temporarily). And that is because it is a great phone...and the siri was touted as the NEXT GREAT THING... a life changer. It is my humble opinion that it will be very little used.. and when it is used, it will not be used any more than vlingo on android. It will certainly not be a life changer in its present form. I was hoping it was...believe me. Watch the hype dissolve as people start to use it....
ps... and I see where you get the acid in your name. The nasty tone in the "I guess your review is totally different..." was unnecessary. I was just trying to make people think before they jumped at the hype (most of it generated by journalists using the apple launch presentation as their basis).
Old 10-17-2011, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

a bit more details of what it won't do...
It was touted as an assistant...you could talk to while running or driving. but they were careful in what they said.. it looked like it will do more than it can.

Yes, you can set a meeting for tomorrow. But if you ask your "assistant" what your meetings are for tomorrow, it will say that you have a meeting at 8 o clock or whatever time your first meeting it. It will not read the text of that meeting. So your assistant cant say,"you have a meeting Financial planning" at 8 o clock. You have to look at your phone.

They made a big deal that you could ask if you needed an umbrella and it would answer. But ask it the weather. What it gives you is the weather report on the screen. You have to look at it to see the weather. It will not read you a weather report. It will answer one characteristic. If you say, "do I need an umbrella," it will say it is sunny. But don't expect it to read the weather synopsis text.. sunny with increasing cloudyness toward eveining with 10% chance of showers. It would be so easy...

If you have a reminder, you can't say, read me my reminders (as you might ask your assistant on your way to work). It will say, "sorry, I can't read reminders." Just like it says for emails, "You have 5 emails. I cannot read them."

In short, it is so far from a useful assistant. Yes, it has some helpful features.. but many distractors. I asked it to call my wife on mobile phone. (It is supposed to know who my wife is)... and it (no joke) brought up a takeout chinese place in Milwaukee.

I then cursed at it and it cheekily told me it was blushing. Great toy. Not ready for prime time.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I am just astownded at the number of people whose lives a;most revolve around the ability to be "connected" 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Sure I make maybe one call a month from my Audi, and I have never been called in a car. But it cannot be that important.
The hands free thing is great for everybody but I wonder why it's so important in the first place.
Have fun, be careful, and please pay attention out there.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man
I guess I am just astownded at the number of people whose lives a;most revolve around the ability to be "connected" 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Sure I make maybe one call a month from my Audi, and I have never been called in a car. But it cannot be that important.
The hands free thing is great for everybody but I wonder why it's so important in the first place.
Have fun, be careful, and please pay attention out there.
Amen
Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Some people need to be connected... Those that double their office in the vehicle come to mind. As to the douche above with the snide iPhone 4s review... Nothing is either as great, or terrible, as we believe. Adults can share counterpoints without devolving to immature remarks.

The fact that Siri works well with the Q5 is a killer feature for the combo. Still, I'll have to see more of the functionality personally to have an informed opinion.

Siri is almost done being ported to the iPhone 4, in case some of you are content with the iPhone you currently have.

Quick Reply: Siri Works!