Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Siri Works!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aboveliquidice
Siri is almost done being ported to the iPhone 4, in case some of you are content with the iPhone you currently have.
Thanks for the info -- this is good to hear. I had been using Siri for more than a year before the 4S came out. After 4S/IOS5 came out, the old Siri no longer works. The program is still there, but it just says it can not connect to server (no other info). It gave warnings a few weeks before saying a new Siri would be on the 4S, but it didn't say they were going to break the existing one. To me it looked like an intentional move to force people who were already using Siri to upgrade to a 4S. It's very good to hear they will be restoring Siri functionality on the 4.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stanw
I understand and appreciate the concern for safety, and minimizing distractions while driving, though, I'm not sure what you are talking about.

How can you say it isn't "good enough?" I have been using it for the past several days? Have you used it in your Q5?

Before it sends a message it reads it back to me and if I want to make a change I simply re-dictate it and then tell it to send it. I do not have to look at the phone to do this.

Have you ever talked to a passenger in your car before? Is that a distraction? Is that not safe?
It just isn't. I have been using it heavily for a week. It does some things ok..but ends up in distractionland. For example, if you ask for a nearby restaurant, it shows a list...but won't read them to you. If you click on them (after a distracting look) it only goes to a map if there is one available... If you ask the weather for example. It will let you dictate email (with limited accuracy)but won't read it. All this takes your eyes off. They market it as an assistant that will let you keep your eyes on the road. You can't for much of what it does.

I find the dictation only intermittently accurate. Most of the functions mandate that you look at the phone.

Whatever... If you only use it for texting, then it is a minor distraction. It promises much more....and it ends up being a big distraction...and it is no benefit over android which does the same as far as text messaging.

I also find it used to be (or is with siri off) extremely accurate in voice dialing... which is the most important feature for me when driving. I find it less accurate now. It frequently only gets the last name and I have to choose which first name.. This wasn't the case before.

Time will tell. Hopefully they will improve it.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stanw
Have you ever talked to a passenger in your car before? Is that a distraction? Is that not safe?
YUP. That's not safe either. But I've been practicing short conversations in my car for 40 years, not 6 months.
And I'm happy you have "SIRI" working. I was happy when I figured out how to turn off the ferris wheel icon in the navigation (and that's a distraction too).
All I ask is to consider the others out there (drivers, pedestrians, stop signs, etc). Please be careful.
I lost a dear friend to a distracted driver, hence my small campaign.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Joe Krol
"you have 4 million people "playing" with it. This will improve when the novelty wears off.
I missed this one. Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. This is my point (sorry BirdmanQ5). I suspect the novelty will only last until the next distracting novelty comes on the market from Apple and etc.
READ: Driver enthusiasts should just drive. Audi Q5 drivers have even more fun as these things are pretty sporty just the way they are delivered and we can do some productive things in them too. If one needs to be connected for their livelihood consider a limo or a chauffer.
Perhaps I'll start a new thread about this subject and quit appearing to beat-up BirdmanQ5.
I'm finished
Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man
Perhaps I'll start a new thread about this subject and quit appearing to beat-up BirdmanQ5.
Nah don't sweat it Otto, your opinion is most welcome. Again, all I'm offering here is my observation on the functionality of Siri and how it works on the Q5, whether you're moving or not
Old 12-10-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice to see so many answers from people who don't understand the topic or don't know anything about it.

"You are stupid for asking that" is the best answer to every question.