Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Snow Chains

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Chains

This might be a stupid question but I have never owned a 4WD or AWD vehicle before.

Do I need to carry snow chains when going up to the mountains? On previous trips to Mammoth and Big Bear, Highway Patrol checkpoints do stop 4WD trucks to make sure they were carrying chains but they never had to put them on.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think I found the answer...

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wntrdriv.htm

Chain Requirements:

* R1: Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.
* R2: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
* R3: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong but on a fulltime awd system like our Q5, you have to put chains on all 4 ends otherwise the rotational difference would be an issue...
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boltsfan
This might be a stupid question but I have never owned a 4WD or AWD vehicle before.

Do I need to carry snow chains when going up to the mountains? On previous trips to Mammoth and Big Bear, Highway Patrol checkpoints do stop 4WD trucks to make sure they were carrying chains but they never had to put them on.
If you do plan on getting into some heavy snow, I'd sure recommend dedicated snow tires like Blizzaks on 18" rims. Your Audi's Quattro system is unbeatable....I had an A4 in Colorado and it went where others could not go, regardless of AWD system. There used to be a video of an A6 with dedicated snow tires REPEATEDLY going UP a ski jump. Is that confidence- inspiring enough for you?
My Q came with the Dunlops....and reports say they aren't very good in the heavy snow......quiet on the highway though.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can't justify buying snow tires for a once a year vacation to the mountains to go snowboarding.

I know I'll be fine on the road with the Q5 but just was not sure what the Highway Patrol enforces. No plans to go off roading in the snow.

Also was not sure that if I needed to put on chains to get thru a checkpoint should they be installed on the front or the rear?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
correct me if i'm wrong but on a fulltime awd system like our Q5, you have to put chains on all 4 ends otherwise the rotational difference would be an issue...
Snow chains on rear wheels only.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a second home in Big Bear, and have never needed chains going up there. In severe conditions, they MIGHT require them going up, but I've never used them up there on this car. No need for it.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220

Rear only. Could severly damage the Q5 if you try to put them on the front.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Rear only. Could severly damage the Q5 if you try to put them on the front.
Originally Posted by Xpri
Snow chains on rear wheels only.

I assume thats cause we have no clearance on the front because of our suspension, makes sense.

I wonder if the AWD will have an issue due to different rotational speeds front and rear.

Our EDL's front and rear work really well in the snow...
Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
I have a second home in Big Bear, and have never needed chains going up there. In severe conditions, they MIGHT require them going up, but I've never used them up there on this car. No need for it.
Did you have your Q5 last winter?

Just wondering if HP recognizes the Quattro AWD and will wave you thru a checkpoint. I would prefer to carry chains just for the 1% chance I would need them.

Any recommendations on a set of chains\cables?

Quick Reply: Snow Chains