Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Snow Chains

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boltsfan
Did you have your Q5 last winter?

Just wondering if HP recognizes the Quattro AWD and will wave you thru a checkpoint. I would prefer to carry chains just for the 1% chance I would need them.

Any recommendations on a set of chains\cables?
I was up there last winter, probably every other weekend. Never got stopped but I never drove up in the middle of a storm. Was up there when we got that storm with 5 feet of snow, and never used them once. I do have them but don't remember what kind. They're cables and I will check the brand later on for you and let you know.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzLA
I was up there last winter, probably every other weekend. Never got stopped but I never drove up in the middle of a storm. Was up there when we got that storm with 5 feet of snow, and never used them once. I do have them but don't remember what kind. They're cables and I will check the brand later on for you and let you know.
Thanks Fitz...
Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Xpri
Snow chains on rear wheels only.
According to Audi service advisor... chains should not be required with M rated tires but if HP is enforcing chains, they go on the front tires.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boltsfan
According to Audi service advisor... chains should not be required with M rated tires but if HP is enforcing chains, they go on the front tires.
Well, I was going by the manual (pg 302, Snow Chains) and comments from this thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2767175
Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please get that in writing with signature and then if you dare, go and put them to front and when it tears up the front suspension, call flatbed and they will have costly fix from dealers own pockets.

Sadly that is typical dealer talk when they have no darn clue about the cars they are selling. Service writer? Com' on the person at least should say "read the manual to be sure"

Anyways, as I wrote on post Xpri referred, I will never again use chains on rear, either I have on all corners or nothing. I even drove that beemer with summers and cables on rear, sure it is fine going uphill and that is the part where people seems to get carried away and gets impression how easy it is but they forget they barely used brakes on uphill.

Be aware the surprise comes on flat and the hell begins on downhill when they need the brakes, lucky me the beemer had manual "old fashion" handbrake and I had to go downhill walking speed, tranny on first and then using handbrake as if I touched the service brakes, front locked and car slid direction where road was slanted.

Please don't trust me and rather go and try on icy downhill with chains / cables on rear wheels and tester will learn how driver becomes passenger when car goes its own ways.

I lived in LA and I know Big Bear haves days when it gets lot of snow but it is nothing to compare Rockies and Eisenhower passage and Crested Butte / Aspen / Veil area I drive by every year during the middle winter and middle summer. I barely need dedicated winter tires here in flat hellhole Kansas but I'm happy I have my set for those days when I head to Rockies.

Last edited by kleinbus; 09-28-2010 at 06:32 PM.