Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Snow in a non-snow area...Q5 style

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Snow in a non-snow area...Q5 style

I live in the Portland Oregon area..we recently got hit with a big snow storm by our standards. I had almost 12 inches at my home. Keep in mind the PDX area isn't prepared for big snow storms as the don't happen very often. Last one was in 2008. No plowing of side streets, no salt on the roads (Ok the did use some in very limited areas this time).

The Q5's Quattro handled it like a champ!

I work 20+ miles from home and have to travers bridges (Interstate and Fremont) over two major rivers, and basically take a highway (Sunset/26) that goes to dang near the highest point in the city (granted PDX is at sea level)

Should also note I am running nokian hakkapeliitta r2 tires...which had a lot to do with it too..but was really impressed with the Audi Quattro

Now if it wasn't for that dieselgate thing...
Old 01-13-2017, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

+1

We just completed what turned out to be an 1,800-mile "severe weather" road trip. Driving down to a family gathering in the bay area (from Seattle), we cut-over to the Oregon coast to encounter 2" of snow on the beach in Newport, compact snow and ice on 101, 18 degree days in Klamath, CA, wind and flooding in Napa and then tons of snow in Portland on the way back (i.e. we canceled our hotel in downtown not because the Q5 couldn't get us there but because the roads were so fubar'ed).

Through it all, our Q5 returned 33+ mpg allowing us to comfortably refuel about every 500 miles and never missed a step whatever the road conditions.

What a great ride!
Old 01-14-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
I live in the Portland Oregon area..we recently got hit with a big snow storm by our standards. I had almost 12 inches at my home. Keep in mind the PDX area isn't prepared for big snow storms as the don't happen very often. Last one was in 2008. No plowing of side streets, no salt on the roads (Ok the did use some in very limited areas this time).

The Q5's Quattro handled it like a champ!

I work 20+ miles from home and have to travers bridges (Interstate and Fremont) over two major rivers, and basically take a highway (Sunset/26) that goes to dang near the highest point in the city (granted PDX is at sea level)

Should also note I am running nokian hakkapeliitta r2 tires...which had a lot to do with it too..but was really impressed with the Audi Quattro

Now if it wasn't for that dieselgate thing...

I actually went to Meadows on Wendsday morning...couldn't pass that snow. Absolutelly no problem getting there on the all season tires.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and looking forward to the ice storm forming tonight over PDX. That will be interesting and a real test of tires/quattro...
Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ice is the great Equalizer...

Doesn't matter if you have 4wd, FWD, RWD or Quattro!

Ice is ice...Watch out!

Jason
Old 01-17-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My biggest issue with the Q5 is the short wheel base and square width of the vehicle. It's not the most stable since it's a bit square. It does go through snow very nicely. My other issue is when you try to turn and slide it and drift it, the traction control does not want to let you do it, even when you try to give it gas to rotate.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why do you have dedicated snow tires in a "non-snow area".

We just got a big ice/snow storm in NC that shut most things down for 4 days, but I've long since left my dedicated snows back in CT.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
My biggest issue with the Q5 is the short wheel base and square width of the vehicle. It's not the most stable since it's a bit square. It does go through snow very nicely. My other issue is when you try to turn and slide it and drift it, the traction control does not want to let you do it, even when you try to give it gas to rotate.

ahh, I see you said "[with] traction control"

Old 01-17-2017, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
Why do you have dedicated snow tires in a "non-snow area".

We just got a big ice/snow storm in NC that shut most things down for 4 days, but I've long since left my dedicated snows back in CT.

I was wondering when someone would ask that!...I does snow here sometimes...we don't salt the roads, have minimal snow removal equipment and have lots of hills..especially on my route to/from work..Better safe than sorry...Several hundred $$ well spent IMHO
Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I was wondering when someone would ask that!...I does snow here sometimes...we don't salt the roads, have minimal snow removal equipment and have lots of hills..especially on my route to/from work..Better safe than sorry...Several hundred $$ well spent IMHO
Gotcha Yeah, those are some great tires from what I understand. I never had those, mostly the Dunlop Wintersport M2/M3, which I was happy with for all winter on a 450hp S4 in CT/MA with 140 mile roundtrip commute to the office.

Quick Reply: Snow in a non-snow area...Q5 style