Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

So sorry, but again...3.2 vs. 2.0?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzLA
I live in the hills of Los Angeles, and also have a home in Big Bear. After having driven 2.0 loaners, I would never get one. The 2.0 is lacking on the hills and lacking acceleration power at highway speeds. The 3.2 is the way to go, until they come out with the Q5 TDI. (forget the Hybrids, I'll never own a hybrid)
I totally agree. numbers dont always tell the truth. I hate the 8spd tranny, i dislike constant shifting it bothers me. the 3.2 sounds great even and has excellent throttle tip in
Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.0 TDI would be a good one, but the price would be way up there. I testdrove the 335d and it was an excellent car in power, ride, handling and feel.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
When I got my Q5 the 2.0T was not available...but if I had to do it over again and had a choice I'd go with the 3.2V6 again. Extracting nearly the same HP and even more torque from a relatively low displacement engine by turbcharging it and putting it in a HEAVY vehicle is not a good idea, IMO. That might have a lot to do with the reports of extreme oil consumption. I think there's some measure of life expectancy and reliability that's sacrificed when a small displacement engine is tuned to deliver high power. This, and the fact that the 3.2V6 is so damn smooth compared to any 4-banger is all I need to make my decision. The superb fuel mileage of the 2.0T is very attractive though.
Completely agree, and is a major concern for me. Love the 2.0T mpg, but the weight of the Q5, long term, makes me feel uneasy. Today, a friend raved about the 2.0T engine based on an A5 test drive. I reminded him that the A5 weighs exactly 507 lbs less than the Q.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fizgig
Completely agree, and is a major concern for me. Love the 2.0T mpg, but the weight of the Q5, long term, makes me feel uneasy. Today, a friend raved about the 2.0T engine based on an A5 test drive. I reminded him that the A5 weighs exactly 507 lbs less than the Q.
I find that 4 banger to be very rough and dislike that quality in a $40k plus car.

Just my old school preference.

Originally Posted by Shawn99/30V
3.0 TDI would be a good one, but the price would be way up there. I testdrove the 335d and it was an excellent car in power, ride, handling and feel.

that 3.0 would be awesome, great power and mileage no worries. i dont think it would be that much more. 335d is awesome, i get a smile every time i drive it. That low end grunt and sound is awesome. i want to chip it but its got enough power as is and i want to keep it forever since its a HALO car for BMW in the US and i feel as if a chip may hurt it in the long run...
Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

That 335d had some serious devastating torque: 425 lb/ft! That's more than a lot of big trucks'. Take that car up the mountain roads would be like driving in heaven. I wonder if they'll put that engine in the new X3. The urea emission additive is a deal killer for some. Does your TDI require urea?

Before I test drove the Q5 2t, I thought the hefty weight would be too much for the little engine. I was wrong. The car accelerated effortlessly in D mode. I didn't even have the need to put it in S. Too bad he wouldn't let me take it up on the freeway. The 8 speed AT was a good match. However, there was one occasion before the stop, the transmission downshifted abruptly. I heard Audi has readdressed this issue by reprogramming the transmission. The test drive kind of changed my mind and now I kind of want one for myself. The ride however, was a little too firm for my taste.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

IMO, you can't go wrong with either engine. For us, we wanted a Q5 that had good gas mileage, so the 2.0 fits us perfectly. If we wanted a sportier feel to an SUV, then we would have picked the 3.2. I know I'm stating the obvious with my comments, but both Q5s are very good choices.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm curious about how they compare at altitude (4000+ ft) turbo vs NA engine.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by C-47
I'm curious about how they compare at altitude (4000+ ft) turbo vs NA engine.
My understanding is that a turbo will perform better than an "equivalent" NA engine at altitude. Does that mean the 2.0T will perform better than a 3.2L? Don't know since one is a 4 cylinder vs. 6.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fizgig
My understanding is that a turbo will perform better than an "equivalent" NA engine at altitude. Does that mean the 2.0T will perform better than a 3.2L? Don't know since one is a 4 cylinder vs. 6.
The 2.0T will suffer some but probably not as much as the 3.2V6...relatively speaking. But we're talking minimal power loss at best...probably noticeable but hardly worth mentioning
Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

The thinner air resulting from high altitude definitely has a lot to do with combustion engine, since the power is derived from AIR + FUEL + COMBUSTION. The higher the altitude means thinner air = less power.

Quick Reply: So sorry, but again...3.2 vs. 2.0?