Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

So, time to look at BMW and Mercedes. . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, time to look at BMW and Mercedes. . .

Very disappointed at design of Q5. I hope it looks better in real life, because it's just plain boring. Who designed this dog?

I can't believe AoA did it again. Actually, yes I can. These guys just don't want to succeed in the US.

You want to sell a lot of Q5's in the US? Send over the 2.0 TDI with a 6 MT stripped down to the least expensive price you can get. Advertise it as the best small MPG in it's class. With fuel at $4.00+/gallon, they'll sell better than the V6 gas model.

Has anyone heard if the X3 is going to get the diesel anytime soon? I know that the production is shifting to Spartanburg from Graz. BMW is adding 1.2 million square feet to the plant and hiring 500 people.

Note to AoA: No diesel, no sale!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 PM

Yep sure hurt the A3 sales not having the 2.0 the first year...
Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 PM
QG5
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: So, time to look at BMW and Mercedes. . .

f**k audi waited for so long so i could see this car and no diesel and no 7 speed s-tronic we really get some garbage model's here in the state's, im realy pissed off i might switch car company's, after all my year's of loyalty too this brand, might buy the diesel bmw also.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: So, time to look at BMW and Mercedes. . .

The looks of a vehicle (especially when all we have is a few photographs) is soooo subjective. To me, the Q5 looks 200% less "boring" than the dated X3 and X5 and the hideous Subaru-clone Mercedes GLK.

Factor in that you get vinyl upholstery and cheap flimsy plastic everywhere on these entry level Bimmers and Mercs and the Audi looks even better. You don't like it; I do; choice is good.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I dont get it....

you get the cars for half price, you get to see them pre production and then you want to punish the company for what? because YOUR own regulations keeping the TDI away.
I can understand your frustration but that goes with the internet see it all now get it all now world we live in.
Remember your Dollar is going down due to your own activity and that is acting against imports. You just cant have it both ways. I mean, how upset can you expect Audi to be if they are not going to make any money out of you anyway?
Audi say they want a bigger share of the US market so perhaps when US production gets underway that might help you both out.
BTW its not ugly you just havent got used to looking at it yet.
I dont mean any of this as a personal critisism and in a way Audi should have seen your reaction coming. I think if they are serious about breaking into the future US market they need to give a little and push the dates but I suspect they are to busy licking Chinese boots right now.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's "nice" but it could have been so much more. Features are very good though and it beats ugly X3

which I've always thought looked like a cheap economy car unworthy of the BMW badge. The Q5 is not out for awhile so there is still time for an introduction of an S Line or a new hybrid engine. They REALLY need to spice this car up though if they want it to come out with a bang and make some waves.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:03 AM

Default Agree, pictures are one dimensional and really don't show the real . . .

shape of the vehicle in person, but I was expecting to see the A5/S5 of the small SUV class. I wasn't excited by the pictures of the Q5 as I was with the first pictures of the A5/S5.

As far as BMW goes, I've driven the newest X3 at a BMW X3 drivers event. I was very impressed by the vehicle. The shape is about exciting as the Q5 and yes, the interior is not up to an Audi's, but it would suffice.

A friend bought the X3 because he wanted a MT that the Q5 won't offer. By the way, he's 65 and will only drive a MT. Was a SAAB guy all of his life, and only left because he was forced to. SAAB did away with the hatch back, so he went to the BMW X3. So far, about a year now, he and his wife love the vehicle. She drives a B7 2.0T MT. Who said seniors can't be fun? ;-)
Old 04-20-2008, 06:10 AM

Default AoA didn't bring the A3 Quattro 2.0T into the US because they. . .

were afraid that it would've cannibalized its' A4. Were they right? Yes, but, they could've used that price point vehicle to have some conquest sales from other makes, namely Subaru.

When I was in the business, we saw a good number of Subaru owners move "up to an Audi." They wanted the added luxuries of Audi, but didn't want to give up their AWD. I think Audi "missed the bus" on that decision. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:35 AM

Default Audi should hire you for their US product planning

I'm sure you know a lot more than than the professionals Audi has put in to place for product planning. I would imagine that they are trying to figure out how to get the diesel available for you right now.
"Note to AoA: No diesel, no sale!" LOL
Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 AM

Default Not sure what you mean, Audi did have a 2.0T the first year in the US.

I had one, it wasn't a quattro but it definitely was a 2.0T.

Quick Reply: So, time to look at BMW and Mercedes. . .