Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sound of door closing

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound of door closing

OK, so this may be a little weird of me to notice, but it seems the sound of my driver side door is different than the other 3 doors of my 2012 Q5. The other doors close with a nice deep thud, but the driver side door closes with more of a shudder. It as if there isn't enough rubber or sealant around the door (although it looks ok).

Anyone else notice this or have this problem before?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Silly Question but
Has this Q5 every been hit? drivers side?
Chris
Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tadhg
OK, so this may be a little weird of me to notice, but it seems the sound of my driver side door is different than the other 3 doors of my 2012 Q5. The other doors close with a nice deep thud, but the driver side door closes with more of a shudder. It as if there isn't enough rubber or sealant around the door (although it looks ok).

Anyone else notice this or have this problem before?
I have definitely noticed that the doors on my Q5 sound very different from one another. Also, it's not always consistent and I think depends on whether other doors are open or not. Sometimes some doors make the nice cushioned 'thud', other times they much a much harsher 'why did you just slam the door shut for no reason?' sound...

I've kind of gotten used to it but it still bugs me at times.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by john1r
I have definitely noticed that the doors on my Q5 sound very different from one another. Also, it's not always consistent and I think depends on whether other doors are open or not. Sometimes some doors make the nice cushioned 'thud', other times they much a much harsher 'why did you just slam the door shut for no reason?' sound...

I've kind of gotten used to it but it still bugs me at times.

Ditto
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same here.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few years ago I get the hollow (empty) sound, when I close the door of my wife MDX, car was on warranty back then and I took to the dealer. Apparently, it was stearfoam plastic inside of the door, that fell from middle of the door position and that why door sound hollow.
just my $0.02
Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The door on my Nissan sounds more solid. I thought I was the only person who noticed this.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eppoh7
Same here.
Now that I think of it, the doors on my 2010 seemed more solid than this one. I remember thinking that the first day I picked up the 2012. The 2010 had that quiet, solid thud you would expect from a German car, the new one definitely has a "lighter" sound. The door doesn't seem as heavy either, meaning less effort is needed to close it.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

After seeing a program about what goes into the design of BMWs, which included a session with the designer responsible for selecting the "proper" tone for, I think it was, turn signals, or maybe door open chimes, etc., I can only surmise that it was "Advisory Committee Day" for selecting door closing sounds at Ingolstadt.

Can't say that I've noticed such a difference, but now you've got me wondering about it. That said, I could see where the front and rear doors might have their own sounds, but each one different??? Now that's something for CSI to figure out.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:59 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eppoh7
Now that I think of it, the doors on my 2010 seemed more solid than this one. I remember thinking that the first day I picked up the 2012. The 2010 had that quiet, solid thud you would expect from a German car, the new one definitely has a "lighter" sound. The door doesn't seem as heavy either, meaning less effort is needed to close it.
Wonder if that's also why there's a creaking/squeaking sound that sometimes comes from front doors when going over bumps with our 2012 2.0T Prem+. Seems to happen more when there's a bit of rain happening (very unusual for this time of year around our place) and going through some potholes (very usual around our place). Perhaps a door redesign (and revised sealing) make it more susceptible to this kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: Sound of door closing