Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

sound system is mediocre

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastd1
I like the stock sound system in the Prem+, and did not want to spend the extra for the B&O.
Note there is an option to have the sound directed at the driver seat, or directed for all occupants. Perhaps you have this set incorrectly? Also check that the subwoofer under the back floor is plugged in, could have come loose.
+1, I too find the stock sound system Premium +, to be excellent.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fastd1
I like the stock sound system in the Prem+, and did not want to spend the extra for the B&O.
Note there is an option to have the sound directed at the driver seat, or directed for all occupants. Perhaps you have this set incorrectly? Also check that the subwoofer under the back floor is plugged in, could have come loose.
Can you be more specific about the location?
Is it in the second row or in the cargo area? right or left? How do you access it?

thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audihonda
believe it or not, i've always heard about a break in period for speakers from my audiophile friends, and other sources.
this is the first time i've experienced it - or at least i think i did.
Absolutely true that speakers need a break in period. Depending on the speakers, that can mean 100 hours or more. I am hoping that my B&O system will get better over time. Frankly, I am pretty dissapointed with it right now. It does sound good if you blast the volume, but I always measure a sound system by how good it sounds at low volume. Right now the B&O system fails that test. It's not horrible, but not what I expected after all the hype from my salesman. My BMW sound system sounds much better to me. Of course that's a coupe and so it's really apples and oranges.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrownSeven
Love the B & O system. Sounds best when NOT listening to Sat Radio. Louder you crank it - the better it sounds.
Agree totally with these comments. B&O rocks when louder with iPod
Old 08-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audihonda
Can you be more specific about the location?
Is it in the second row or in the cargo area? right or left? How do you access it?

thanks.
Its in the rear cargo area, mounted within the spare tire rim.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Of course it sucks. If it didn't, would anybody buy B&O then?

By itself, it's not all that bad. Compared to BMW's Logic7 it's inferior. But even L7 is no longer standard on a 335i, so that's pretty much the trend these days. Take something that was standard, remove it, charge more $$$ for an option and call it "for the benefit of the consumer."
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For anyone who may read this and hadn't noticed, the audio settings (bass, midrange, treble, etc) have to be set for each input individually. So for a new owner, if you customize your settings for the FM radio, then switch to Sirius/iPod/SD Card/CD player/Etc, they may sound worse b/c each is still at default settings.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

My B&O definitely, definitely got better after some time breaking in.

I would recommend playing with the "surround" setting if you're unhappy with yours. I have all sound settings set to the middle and am very happy with the sound (I tried changing them at first, but ended up changing them back), however until I increased the surround setting, it felt like most of the sound was coming from the front center speaker. After upping the surround, I got a much better feeling of being enveloped by the sound (it also improved the sound from the rear seats, although from there it still feels like the sound is coming more from the front).

Be careful not to increase the surround too much, or you may get some distortion from the rear door speakers when listening to loud music.