Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacers

I just had the H&R springs installed on my Q5 and I really like the lowered stance. It's amazing the difference an inch and a half makes in the way the car looks and drives. However...

...in looking at the relationship of the wheels to the wheel arches, I'm thinking it would look more cohesive if the wheels were pushed out a little to bring them a little closer to the edges of the wheel arches. And for that, I will need spacers...right?

I'd like a little advice from the forum members on spacers. I know very little about them other than that they exist and in different sizes. I also know that I will need longer lug bolts to compensate for the width of the spacer.

Some specific questions: Has anyone else put spacers on their car? Is it a DIY or professional job? What size is recommended with stock-19 inch wheels? Any photographic examples of various sizes?

I can post some pictures soon so you can see what it looks like now. We got a bunch of snow here today, so I want to clean the car up before I take any pictures.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HAMQ5 did it. Link to thread with pics. Link
Be sure to report back with your progress too
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I too would like to put some spacers on. My only questions are...

What are the risks involved with putting on spacers?

Aren't spacers just chunks of metal...my Audi contact recommended H&R ONLY, why does brand matter?

Do they need to be professionally installed or can I get a mechanic to put them on when I put my summers back on?

Is there a huge difference between 15mm all around and 20mm?

Is it better to be wider in the rear?

Will it affect the way the car handles?

Can they throw codes or void warranty?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
I too would like to put some spacers on. My only questions are...

Aren't spacers just chunks of metal...my Audi contact recommended H&R ONLY, why does brand matter?

Do they need to be professionally installed or can I get a mechanic to put them on when I put my summers back on?

Is there a huge difference between 15mm all around and 20mm?

Is it better to be wider in the rear?

Will it affect the way the car handles?

Can they throw codes or void warranty?

Spacers are typically aluminum disks with same bolt pattern used to "push out" the wheels. Most of the time, it will be recommended to use longer bolts with the spacer since the factory bolts may not be long enough to hold the wheel after you add the spacer.

I would still consider better brands and proper installation of spacers (get hub-centric spacers when possible) since it may affect the rotational balance (wobbling if not centered properly) and make sure to tighten the lug nuts properly (and check it every so often). I have run spacers for years (not on the Q5) but I know there are some tire shops that would no touch a car with spacers (liability reasons).

As far as different widths of spacers, it will affect handling but not significantly (spacers in general will put more stress on the suspension components and the bolts). From what I gather, it will have a side effect of lowering the spring weight of the suspension making the ride a bit softer (by pushing the wheels further away from the suspension - search online for "scrub radius" for more info). It shouldn't throw any codes or have any issues with the all wheel drive as long as the contact patches/area is the same (all 4 tires).
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just a clarification note... scrub radius will affect the handling/road-feel characteristics (not making suspension feel softer).
Old 01-08-2012, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Confirming what was said above... all based on "if done correctly"
1)Spacers push the rims out further such that it is slightly wider.
does it change the ride? You may not notice it, but the little extra
width will give you a BIT more handling.

2)Will it damage anything? Probably not, but just like using a longer pry
bar to move something, it will put a bit more stress on the suspension
because of the leverage.

3)Be sure to get quality, correct hub-centric and lug nuts to ensure there
is no wobble ... one set I got created resonance at a steady state 52 mph-
removed and returned them quickly.

4)will it make your Q LOOK better - certainly does give it a more aggressive
wider stance and better clearance for larger tires and or wheels ---
somewhat better handing as noted earlier.

Take a peek at the clearance of the top of the front tires to the suspension component RIGHT above it and you will see why spacers are needed there..
Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
Adding spacers changes the suspension geometry. In theory, this could lead to increased wear and tear of the suspension components. Poor quality spacers can also cause vibration, especially at higher speeds. If you decide to get them, make sure you get hubcentric ones.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
Adding spacers changes the suspension geometry. In theory, this could lead to increased wear and tear of the suspension components. Poor quality spacers can also cause vibration, especially at higher speeds. If you decide to get them, make sure you get hubcentric ones.
That's the sort of risk I was thinking about. Would someone be able to find me the right part online? I saw H&R spacers on ECS tuning but without bolts, and I don't know the difference between hub centric or otherwise.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Alternatively you could get wider wheels?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjandersonn
Alternatively you could get wider wheels?
Yep, another common alternative is to get wheels with different offset to effectively "push out" the wheels to get it more flush with the fenders. Wider wheels work too but just be aware of proper offsets with those as well (will need to consider clearance from suspension and brakes, etc.)... But of course this will be more costly than spacers. You can always use the stock wheels for winter tires, etc...

I know Achtuning has some Hartmann wheels (they tend to have a more OEM look) that will fit well with the Q5 and their staff is very knowledgeable. (Link to Hartmann wheels at Achtuning) They also sell H&R spacers (and bolts) and should be able to help you out. (Link to H&R spacers/bolts at Achtuning)

Quick Reply: Spacers