Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Spare Tire works like a charm...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spare Tire works like a charm...

My first experience with the "Audi" spare tire...
Returning from a trip to Northern Va to deliver a rescued Bulldog...driving at 75mph on I64 the low pressure warning light came on. I got off at the first exit and realized that the tire was going down rather quickly(sssssssssss) so there would be no limping home on this one(left-front tire). I found a safe place to pull over with 2 tires on the pavement and 2 off. Unloaded the cargo and got the spare out-hooked up the pump and away we go. I used the wheel chocks...nice touch, Audi. Some reflective triangles would have been nice but I'm not complaining. While the tire was inflating I broke loose all of the lug bolts and then proceeded to jacking. The jack worked flawlessly and by the time I got the flat off the car the spare had 40 psi in it...much quicker than I expected. I had the spare on and car down in no time at all. Total time spent was less than 15 minutes.
I wasn't looking forward to completing my trip home down I64 going a max of 50mph so I decided it was best to get the tire repaired in Williamsburg. I found a Goodyear Tire Dealer within 5 miles and went inside and spoke with counter guy. He told me that it would be 40 minutes before they could get to it. I told him go ahead and I'd be back after we do a little shopping in Williamsburg. We returned after 1hr-10 minutes and there sat my tire. It hadn't been moved. I went inside and found that the guy was not there. A lady approached and asked if i needed help and I told her I was waiting for my tire to be repaired. We walked outside to the shop area where the tire was and she told me that I had 3 people in front of me. I asked how long it might take and she said she couldn't answer that. I told her that the guy that waited on me said it would be about 40 minutes. Service tech nearby chimed in and said, "Well he shouldn't have told you that." I said, "I'll let him know that when I see him again." Tech went on to say, "it might be a 1/2 hour or it might be 3 hours...it's hard to say". I picked up my tire and left. Pathetic.
Anyway...at speed the spare started out with fairly heavy vibration like a tire that's WAY out of balance but once it warmed up it smoothed right out. We took the scenic way home and including the 1 hour+ wasted with the MORONS at the Goodyear Tire Center we only lost about a 2 hours. No biggie!
The pump, jack, and tire worked very well. The hole in the tire was easily plugged with a vulcanizing kit I had at home and everything is back to normal. I suppose I'll be taking that kit with me on long trips from now on but in case I forget I know the spare works great.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Great story and glad it worked out. Too bad about the service from Goodyear. I've had great luck with Discount Tire (not sure if they are in your area). A second choice would be to go online and look up the places Tire Rack recommends for installing their tires.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A gas station couldn't have patched your tire?

That sucks bout the delays....
Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
A gas station couldn't have patched your tire?

That sucks bout the delays....
I'm sure someone could have but it was Sunday. We could look up gas stations no problem but finding one with tire equipment and someone there to run it was unlikely. Besides that I was over it after dealing with Goodyear.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel

SNIP

... vulcanizing kit I had at home and everything is back to normal. I suppose I'll be taking that kit with me on long trips from now on but in case I forget I know the spare works great.

Yip, standard equipment in my cars and on the bike. Gorilla strings and a pump. Takes less than 10 minutes to fix a tire that way on the road. Use the spare only when you have a sidewall problem.

I have helped people in cars when riding the bike.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how well does it deflate and pack away back in the hole from where it came?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by flybooey
So how well does it deflate and pack away back in the hole from where it came?
I was surprised by how it returned to its original shape. The valve stem cap has a shrader valve wrench. I just carefully removed the valve and within a few seconds the spare looked like it did to start. Too easy!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be a bit nervous driving with that collapsible sidewall long distance, but I am glad everything worked out good for you
Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to know about the spare tire Bulldog, thanks for the report. If it makes you feel any better (it makes me feel better), the first and last experience I ever had with a Goodyear tire store was an awful one. They sent a co-worker off in one of my company cars without torquing the wheel bolts. The wheel was quickly ruined from wobbling. They bought me a new wheel but holy mother of god... morons is right! Never again.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would be a bit nervous driving with that collapsible sidewall long distance, but I am glad everything worked out good for you
I thought the same thing as that tire inflated but I gave it a good kick after it was mounted and had weight on it and that blow was met with a resounding thud and literally NO rebound...it was SOLID. That cured my concern. I only inflated it to 40psi and the MAX is 50psi so there was room for more inflation but I didn't sense the need. I drove it for about 60 miles and never felt insecure.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire works like a charm...