Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Spare Tire works like a charm...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that bothers me is what do you do with the full size tire/wheel if you are fully loaded ? It's one thing to have a good collapsable spare but the full size one will not store in that space.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xpri
One thing that bothers me is what do you do with the full size tire/wheel if you are fully loaded ? It's one thing to have a good collapsable spare but the full size one will not store in that space.
No, the spare won't but a lot of other stuff will and unless you are completely loaded then you'll be able to find enough room. My main concern with regards to storing the flat would be having a grungy tire in the cargo area getting brake dust and road grime on anything that touches it. I'll be stashing a large plastic bag in the spare tire well.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for a comprehensive report, good that it worked so well...
I have always wondered how that would work out in practice.
Here in Australia the distances between towns and particularly between competent tyre repair / replacement places can be much greater (imagine emptying the USA out so there are only 20 million people left, most of them crowded between New York and Miami along the coast - you get the picture); so I have a full-sized spare in the original well under the floor of the trunk. What I needed to do was raise the floor by 4 inches and it fits perfectly. I made it a condition of the sale that the dealer provided a matching wheel for me and my collapsible spare stays in the shed at home.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moonan
so I have a full-sized spare in the original well under the floor of the trunk. What I needed to do was raise the floor by 4 inches and it fits perfectly. I made it a condition of the sale that the dealer provided a matching wheel for me and my collapsible spare stays in the shed at home.
Would love to see pics of that, is the tire size the same as here in the US ?