Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sport Seat Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Seat Issue?

I've had my '13 3.0 S-Line for over a year and there's this subtle knock under the seat cushion under my right butt cheek. I've had it to the dealer twice but it's very sporadic and it didn't happen. If I make a sharp turn at low speed there's this knock. Anyone else experience anything similar?
Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER
I've had my '13 3.0 S-Line for over a year and there's this subtle knock under the seat cushion under my right butt cheek. I've had it to the dealer twice but it's very sporadic and it didn't happen. If I make a sharp turn at low speed there's this knock. Anyone else experience anything similar?
No...not under the right butt cheek. Butt seriously , have you crawled underneath to take a look around for yourself? You should, just to see if any bolts are missing or anything is noticeably lose.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a similar problem and brought it to the dealer's attention a couple of times. Each time they couldn't replicate the issue and tell me that there is no issue with the driver seat. I've tried to look for anything lose under the seat but couldn't see anything causing the issue. I have isolated when I experience the issue to where the seat has been raised anywhere above the lowest position vertically. When the seat is at the lowest vertical position, there is no subtle knock.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vilhelm_SQ5
I've had a similar problem and brought it to the dealer's attention a couple of times. Each time they couldn't replicate the issue and tell me that there is no issue with the driver seat. I've tried to look for anything lose under the seat but couldn't see anything causing the issue. I have isolated when I experience the issue to where the seat has been raised anywhere above the lowest position vertically. When the seat is at the lowest vertical position, there is no subtle knock.
Do you guys think it's actually the seat adjustment mechanism shifting very slightly as you get side loads back and forth while turning? I've noticed a very slight "shift" of the seat when going through a lot of turns back and forth. so slight, that it's more sound than feel, but I'm pretty convinced it's the seat itself moving a mm or 2 as the adjustment slop is taken up 1 way or the other
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vilhelm_SQ5

I'll try that
Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with my '13 sport seat. The dealership replaced the frame that moves the seat and the problem went away.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by abcabc
I had the same issue with my '13 sport seat. The dealership replaced the frame that moves the seat and the problem went away.
As someone posted it mostly goes away when the seat is lowered completely, so I guess the frame sounds like the problem. Did you have issues with both seats, I do but it's less on the passenger seat. Do you know the part number and description of the defective part?

thanks you the help, this has been bugging me for awhile.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are not crazy. I had to get my Q5 seat fixed twice. My car has the luxury seat package.

On hard turns to the left and right, it felt like the seats moved or "popped" underneath where I was sitting. Something was loose in the seat frame. They replaced it.

The next time I was told there was a TSB about the bolts not being tightented properly. My seat was rocking side to side again. It's finally fixed now.

My last A6 "rocked" back and forth occasionally as well. But I only had it a year and never got it fixed before I traded it in.

I guess Audi is saving money on cheap seat frames and its pretty ridiculous you have to put up with this on 50-60k cars.