Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SQ5 Front License Plate Bracket

I need to install a front license plate on my SQ5. Does anybody have any experience with this?

I ordered the part from Audi but it seems there is a plastic piece in the center of the bracket I need to cut off before installing.

If you've done this what hardware did you use? It didn't come with any.

In the alternative are there any other ideas or suggestions for front plates?

Here's a couple pics of the bracket.
Attached Images    
Old 04-22-2016, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You aren't going to like this, but at least you can be reassured that none of the rest of us like it either. :-(

You have to screw it straight into the filer plate on your grille, including drilling a hole for the peg in the middle. This means it's totally up to you to line it up perfectly level and centered when you mount it. Furthermore, if you ever needed to remove it, you will be left with those holes.

Stupid implementation compared to the regular Q5 that handles this as a swappable plug and play part, no drilling required.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If mine didn't already come with a front plate mounted, I would give mounting with neodymium magnets a try first. See post #217 here: 3.0T Custom Build: Matte Black Rep Ride - Page 6
Old 04-22-2016, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Front plates are not needed.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

When the SQ5 is ordered from the factory with a front bracket, the grille is designed to accommodate that peg. Since yours has the filler panel, you either cut the peg off or make your own hole for it. I would personally cut the peg as every other Audi just uses the screws.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are you sure you need a front license plate? One is not required in Nevada, for example, but you have to have the second plate with you in the car if an officer asks to see it.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Chicago requires it as well. I have never ran one and never had a issue, even when pulled over. If a motorcycle doesn't need a front plate why does a car need one?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdolian
Are you sure you need a front license plate? One is not required in Nevada, for example, but you have to have the second plate with you in the car if an officer asks to see it.
In Texas they are required. You normally wont get a ticket but they will pull you over to check for other things. If you like to have a drink after work and you are driving home, don't give them a reason to pull you over.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Massachusetts requires two plates. Chapter 90, Section 6.

The neodymium magnets is an interesting option. I wonder what would be the best glue to use to fix the magnets to the inside of the grille?

If I do go forward with the plastic OEM bracket I will nip that center peg off. I don't think it's necc.

SSZYMA, what do you do for state inspection? In Mass you need to have both plates, front and rear, to pass inspection.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PaddyG
Massachusetts requires two plates. Chapter 90, Section 6.

The neodymium magnets is an interesting option. I wonder what would be the best glue to use to fix the magnets to the inside of the grille?

If I do go forward with the plastic OEM bracket I will nip that center peg off. I don't think it's necc.

SSZYMA, what do you do for state inspection? In Mass you need to have both plates, front and rear, to pass inspection.
Emissions is the only inspection we have. You can even self serve at the emissions facility. That's it. I love the fact that they only test thru obd2, My track car actually passes with no emissions equipment since the ecu reports everything as ready! A sniffer test would not pass it. My experience in Chicago is that lack of a front plate is not a big deal.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Front License Plate Bracket