Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Order Placed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rkdiddy
Wow, what color is that grey SQ?
It's panther black crystal effect, one of the 2 exclusive SQ5 colors. I took that photo at NAIAS and in person, the color looks grey-black under shade, but can look brownish to deep purple under changing light and angles. Really quite stunning and was among my list of color choices for the SQ5. I really want estoril blue, but the gf wants this panther black, but we can only both agree on some shade of white for now.

Here are some more pics...
Attached Images    

Last edited by larryV; 04-16-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they mention when pricing will be available? I'm trying to decide between the Q5 3.0T and the SQ5, but hoping it'll be closer to $55k and not $60k+, so I can justify that to the wife. One thing we can agree on, we love the Estoril Blue. I think either way, we've decided on that color even if we have to get it as an Exclusive Color with the Q5.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
It's panther black crystal effect, one of the 2 exclusive SQ5 colors. I took that photo at NAIAS and in person, the color looks grey-black under shade, but can look brownish to deep purple under changing light and angles. Really quite stunning and was among my list of color choices for the SQ5. I really want estoril blue, but the gf wants this panther black, but we can only both agree on some shade of white for now.

Stunning is an understatement. I'm not a blue fan, except for Eric Clapton's 1940 Ford Coupe....and it is black with a blue infused clear coat.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alatsacto
Did they mention when pricing will be available? I'm trying to decide between the Q5 3.0T and the SQ5, but hoping it'll be closer to $55k and not $60k+, so I can justify that to the wife. One thing we can agree on, we love the Estoril Blue. I think either way, we've decided on that color even if we have to get it as an Exclusive Color with the Q5.
No!!! No pricing yet. I am thinking just shy over $60-61ish sticker. But who knows. Will update as soon as I know
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The SQ5 has a removable panel but just like on the S-line Q5, once the port installs the hitch, this panel can no longer be put back on because of how US-spec tow hitches protrude. In Europe, their hitches are more compact and I think stowable, so that they can re-attach the panel to cover it.

It won't look bad. My former Q5 S-line had the hitch and it's painted black and hardly noticeable. Should be the same case with the SQ5, though you lose the 2 "fins" from the "diffuser" styling because they're part of the removable panel.
Thanks for the pictures. I think I going to forgo the hitch. I have a 3/4 ton truck if I need to pull anything. Wish they really would have made the cover work.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the extra pics - yes it looks pretty amazing. I'm sure in person it's even better.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats! Looking forward to the delivery and pics... it's gonna be special
Old 04-17-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Placed my order for a 2014 SQ5 Prestige with 21 inch wheels, comfort package, rear side airbags, layered aluminum, and front license plate holder (Texas a must) I am coming over from the S5 thread. I was looking at cayennes, evoques and jeeps. I am so glad Audi put the "S" on the Q5. Will keep you guys updated
Out of curiosity, why did you go with the rear side airbags?
To me they seemed like overkill since the Q already has rear curtain airbags.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Out of curiosity, why did you go with the rear side airbags?
To me they seemed like overkill since the Q already has rear curtain airbags.
I was actually considering getting that upgrade as well. This car is supposed to be a future "family" car, so I thought the extra $300 might be overkill but I guess it's extra piece of mind. Where are the standard airbags located and where are the additional airbags located? I've seen the pictures on AudiUSA for the upgraded airbag package, but what does it look like without the upgrade? Is the upgrade covering the lower body of the rear passengers?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by alatsacto
I was actually considering getting that upgrade as well. This car is supposed to be a future "family" car, so I thought the extra $300 might be overkill but I guess it's extra piece of mind. Where are the standard airbags located and where are the additional airbags located? I've seen the pictures on AudiUSA for the upgraded airbag package, but what does it look like without the upgrade? Is the upgrade covering the lower body of the rear passengers?
As with all cars, the Q5 has side curtain airbags in the rear and that's it. The rear side airbags option adds... rear side airbags (so you end up with full airbag coverage rather than just head coverage).

Basic airbags should be sufficient, but there's nothing wrong with going for the rear side airbags just for additional protection "just in case".

Quick Reply: SQ5 Order Placed!!