Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Order Placed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alatsacto
I was actually considering getting that upgrade as well. This car is supposed to be a future "family" car, so I thought the extra $300 might be overkill but I guess it's extra piece of mind. Where are the standard airbags located and where are the additional airbags located? I've seen the pictures on AudiUSA for the upgraded airbag package, but what does it look like without the upgrade? Is the upgrade covering the lower body of the rear passengers?
My understanding is that the option adds hip level airbags in addition to the head level curtain airbags that are standard and run from the front to the rear.

Edit:

Here is an illustration-

I can certainly see the benefit if you are regularly transporting children.

Last edited by JaXeN; 04-17-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alatsacto
I was actually considering getting that upgrade as well. This car is supposed to be a future "family" car, so I thought the extra $300 might be overkill but I guess it's extra piece of mind. Where are the standard airbags located and where are the additional airbags located? I've seen the pictures on AudiUSA for the upgraded airbag package, but what does it look like without the upgrade? Is the upgrade covering the lower body of the rear passengers?
When I bought my Q5, the salesman recommended against the rear side airbags specifically because I have child car seats in the back. I'm not sure if he was just trying to sell me a Q off of the lot but I bought his reasoning.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by georgehf
When I bought my Q5, the salesman recommended against the rear side airbags specifically because I have child car seats in the back. I'm not sure if he was just trying to sell me a Q off of the lot but I bought his reasoning.
I was given the same advice, and I custom ordered. I believe the concern is that with small children, the explosive force of the airbag is potentially more dangerous, or it could interfere with a car seat, or something.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by georgehf
There's truth to that, and I've seen more than one forum discussion and heard more than one dealership advise me regarding that.

Supposedly, the detonation of a side thorax airbag poses a potential danger to an infant or young child in a car seat when mounted on any of the rear outboard seats. The side curtain airbags are not. If you have a car with the rear side thorax airbags, it's recommended that you place the child car seat in the middle (bitch) position.

I have yet to find any actual studies or actual crash testing to back this up on the internet, but it makes sense to me.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the order. I also was tempted by the SQ5, but decided to wait to see how the Porsche Macan and the rumored Evoque R turn out. The Q5 body style looks kind of dated considering it appeared in 2008, and a completely new Q5 is probably just around the corner. Great engine though.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
Congrats on the order. I also was tempted by the SQ5, but decided to wait to see how the Porsche Macan and the rumored Evoque R turn out. The Q5 body style looks kind of dated considering it appeared in 2008, ...
It's till the handsomest CUV on the road! My thinking was to buy one now BEFORE it was refreshed!!

my CA$0.02
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by koobah
[...] and a completely new Q5 is probably just around the corner.
MY2016 will be the next-gen Q5, which will also be built in the new Puebla, Mexico facility (for the NA market). You'd probably want to give it time to prove both the new platform and the new factory, as usually there's minor issues in new platforms and Mexico hasn't had the best track record on assembly in the past (it's supposedly getting better, and you'd hope that Audi's QC would be pickier than VW's, but the only way to know for sure is to see how things turn out).
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to keep you guys wondering. I just a finalized all the paper work today and put down my $1000 deposit. I had a family emergency that last 5 days. No pricing yet. They are going to sell me the SQ5 for a $1000 over invoice. Best deal I could find right now. I was the first one to order a SQ5 and put money down. This is the way I ended up ordering it. Color ????/black interior, WPT,WTP, PQ8, 5TB, 6W3. I did not get the ventilated seats or the rear side airbags.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Sorry to keep you guys wondering. I just a finalized all the paper work today and put down my $1000 deposit. I had a family emergency that last 5 days. No pricing yet. They are going to sell me the SQ5 for a $1000 over invoice. Best deal I could find right now. I was the first one to order a SQ5 and put money down. This is the way I ended up ordering it. Color ????/black interior, WPT,WTP, PQ8, 5TB, 6W3. I did not get the ventilated seats or the rear side airbags.
Congrats. Did the dealer give you any indication as to when you would take delivery?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlk1
Congrats. Did the dealer give you any indication as to when you would take delivery?
No as long as I get it before Oct 15 2014

Quick Reply: SQ5 Order Placed!!