Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 pulls to right when wet braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SQ5 pulls to right when wet braking

This last weekend I drove through a few torrential rainstorms and over snowy mountains and something just isn't right. On the highway in the rain, not using the brakes, but then when I do use the brakes the car pulls to the right pretty significantly. Like I will go completely into the next lane if I don't counter-steer. This hasn't happened in the dry, and I don't think I've noticed it until this weekend.

My thoughts are that yes, the amount of water will affect initial braking but shouldn't cause a pull to the side so maybe one or more corners is getting better (or worse) bite than the others until the rotor dries better. But then I was thinking what if this has to do with the stupid "driver steering recommendation"? I certainly feel some light wandering and slip when driving on straight highway and was thinking about having it VAG-COM'ed into oblivion anyway.

So do I try to take it in and see if a dealer tech can replicate it or just try to disable DSR on my own? Both options will take me equal amount of effort as I don't know if I can time the weather with a dealer visit, and I don't have vag-com so I would have to go to a shop or borrow it somehow.

Awesome weekend trip photo for good measure:
Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd start with the dealer. It sounds like a calibration issue, no? Either way, it's going to keep raining here for a lot of this week, so it shouldn't be impossible to replicate it with an SA.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Great pic Transfer but I would certainly go to the dealer with a braking issue and not mess with VAG-COM in an attempt to resolve it. Steve
Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Your brakes are lightly pulsed automatically in the rain.....

Originally Posted by Transfer
This last weekend I drove through a few torrential rainstorms and over snowy mountains and something just isn't right. On the highway in the rain, not using the brakes, but then when I do use the brakes the car pulls to the right pretty significantly. Like I will go completely into the next lane if I don't counter-steer. This hasn't happened in the dry, and I don't think I've noticed it until this weekend.

My thoughts are that yes, the amount of water will affect initial braking but shouldn't cause a pull to the side so maybe one or more corners is getting better (or worse) bite than the others until the rotor dries better. But then I was thinking what if this has to do with the stupid "driver steering recommendation"? I certainly feel some light wandering and slip when driving on straight highway and was thinking about having it VAG-COM'ed into oblivion anyway.

So do I try to take it in and see if a dealer tech can replicate it or just try to disable DSR on my own? Both options will take me equal amount of effort as I don't know if I can time the weather with a dealer visit, and I don't have vag-com so I would have to go to a shop or borrow it somehow.

Awesome weekend trip photo for good measure:
when the wipers are on. This is to keep the rotors dry. You may have a slightly sticking pad, or bad caliper, or worse case bad ABS/controller. The ABS system is only pulsing with a very low pressure, thus anything sticking won't respond correctly.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
when the wipers are on. This is to keep the rotors dry. You may have a slightly sticking pad, or bad caliper, or worse case bad ABS/controller. The ABS system is only pulsing with a very low pressure, thus anything sticking won't respond correctly.
Yeah but I don't think this system is working on mine then, because the brakes are dead for the first 1 second of braking in heavy rain. Then after my braking has scraped the water off the rotors, they brake and now seem to pull to the right about 50% of the time. I would expect that normally car brakes don't function great initially when in severely wet weather, until the rotors are wiped clean but if there is a system that is supposed to prevent this, doesn't seem to work that well...
Old 07-07-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So did you figure out why the pull was happening?

MY q7 does the same, random pull to the right, happens so randomly, the steering wheel moves by itself and there is torque to the right side, I have to fight it to pull it back to straight and drive