Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 and Tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SQ5 and Tow hitch

Some of the first SQ5s that were ordered will supposedly get the port installed hitch. But others, like mine, currently can not add this to their orders. After having seen one at my dealer on Sunday, I looked under the bumper and discovered that there was clearly a panel that was made to come off...and while I don't have ANY experience with hitches, it seemed logical to believe that it was essentially made for a hitch to be installed.

So I talked my dealer into taking it off and talking to the parts department. Here is his response:

"After speaking to my parts manager again, it looks like you can add the Tow Hitch once your SQ5 is here, but it still isn't a port installed option... I asked why it wasn't a port installed option, and I guess there is a huge shortage of tow hitches at the ports and in the U.S. at the moment. For the bad news... If you get the Tow Hitch installed at our dealership, the cost is quite a bit more due mainly to the increase in the labor cost and Audi charges the dealers more for the part if it isn't port installed. It would be $1400 (with parts & labor) vs. about $920 if it was added at the port.

There is still hope for a reduced cost if by the time your SQ5 reaches the port, hopefully the Tow Hitch will be back on the Audi Order Guide and we can change your order. We'll have to keep an eye on the new order guides as they come out, and you will be the first to know if we have any new info."

This doesn't "prove" anything, but it is at least kind of encouraging news. How difficult is installing the hitch? Seems like something you could by from GAP and do in your garage fairly easily.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info and thanks for popping the panel off to take a look. I had mentioned seeing the removable panel earlier as well in other's pics. Mounting the hitch shouldn't be overly complicated, but does audi have a factory light harness as well (if not, easy enough to probably get an aftermarket).

I too have possible interest in the hitch...so any other info you eventually have on the opening up of the hitch order on the SQ5 would be appreciated.

Thanks,
tgt
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too heard that the hitch is severely back ordered right now. My dealer suggested there would be no chance to get one until October but it seemed as though it was just a shot in the dark guess.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is this only an issue with the SQ5 or all 2014 Q5s currently being ordered? Ten days ago I placed an order for the Q5 TDI with the tow hitch. I was not told that there would be any delays because of the hitch.