Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Squeaky sunroof on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky sunroof on bumps

just hit 2k miles and whenever im driving on gnarley pot-holed roads in NYC, I get squeaks from above. I'm sure i'm not alone.. this is starting to drive me nuts. When I slipe open the sunroof even one notch... no squeaks, but with winter approaching I need a true fix.

Also tried rubber conditioner on the seals but worked for a day or two only. Do i need to take it to the dealer to address the issue? I wanted to wait for my 5k service to have audi look at the issue but at this pace (driven only on weekends) may take another few months.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by schanyc
just hit 2k miles and whenever im driving on gnarley pot-holed roads in NYC, I get squeaks from above. I'm sure i'm not alone.. this is starting to drive me nuts. When I slipe open the sunroof even one notch... no squeaks, but with winter approaching I need a true fix.

Also tried rubber conditioner on the seals but worked for a day or two only. Do i need to take it to the dealer to address the issue? I wanted to wait for my 5k service to have audi look at the issue but at this pace (driven only on weekends) may take another few months.
squeeks are known when its open and retracted back - its the rubber doing it's jobby and telling you that it's absorbing the weight of the glass as you specifically mentioned going over the bumps & pot-holed roads.
as for having it fixed for approaching winter - seriously? you'll be opening it how often with NYC snow storms huh?

if you search the forum it's posted that folks have gone so far to fight and have the entire glass replaced and the squeeks come back eventually. is it a 'wonderful solution' no but, either keep conditioning the seals as you did mention it helped or close the roof when you know you are in a bad road area.

good luck at your dealership and of course if they tell you something different than again what has been posted many times here to let us all know of something else.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not quite awake yet Cris ?

Think you might have reversed his symptoms -
It squeaks when it's closed not open

I would give the dealerships a call and ask them to provide a loaner !

(of course if you don't need it during the week that may be a moot point!)

good luck with it as our's hasn't made a peep as they are doing 'shovel ready jobs' all around us and I hit those potholes @ speed
Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem, except it was the back fixed piece of glass that was squeaking. In my opinion, these pano sunroof are more trouble than they are worth.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I had the same problem, except it was the back fixed piece of glass that was squeaking. In my opinion, these pano sunroof are more trouble than they are worth.
That's why I went without. It was hard to find as well. I do very much enjoy opening my wife's cab roof however.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have had this same problem. Brought it to dealer twice in 8 weeks and they haven't fixed it. Called AOA today and asked them to intervene to ensure the problem is fixed this next time. They said they are calling to discuss with the dealer and will call me back on Friday. Creaks and rattles are a huge issue for me, I buy German cars specifically to avoid them. My Touareg stayed tight for the 7 years I owned it so needless to say I'm really disappointed. Outside of this and the laughably weak heated seats I love everything else about the Q.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Not quite awake yet Cris ?

Think you might have reversed his symptoms -
It squeaks when it's closed not open
DOH!! MY BAD!!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update: the rubber conditioner lasted maybe a day or 2 before the squeaks returned. I decided to go to my last resort before having to take it to the dealer.. good 'ole wd-40. I was cautious since I didn't know how harsh it would be but after some research it seemed most warnings were against silicone based products. So far no squeaks... now just gotta figure out how to silence the crying baby in the back seat. (not one of the recommended applications of wd-40)