Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stasis 2.0T ECM & Exhaust...done.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about the stasis tune many times, I find that the Q5 is quick, but it could use just a liiiiittle bit more pep. The issue is that I use my Q for a commuter car, and run 500km a week. Are these sort of tunes only good for cars that are driven short distances? I feel like the car would wear out pretty fast in one year from the tune.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have to admit, driving the tuned car against a stock one it's obvious the tuned car is much more drive-able. It's easier when starting off to regulate the throttle so jack rabbit starts like the stock version are less. I will admit that the CVT transmission makes the car feel super fast versus the chipped manual. Mine is having some sort of trouble so I'm not sure if it's an apples-to-apples comparison.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default update please

@cprg2011... I just finished reading the thread and now am curious as to how it ended? Did Capilano Audi take care of you and is the new ecm stasis download functioning better or the same as before??
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have been holding off on a final installment to this long tale. I have a dyno booked in a couple of weeks and was waiting until I could give full results. I'll give an interim update 'till then...

To pick up on things where I left off, Stasis finally felt comfortable enough with the tweaked tune to redo my ECM. It was sent down to them mid-December and was back just after Christmas. This time, I am happy to say, it worked...and Cap Audi ran some diagnostics to show the boost gains. Subjectively, the performance gain feels good and I am happy with the result. I am awaiting the dyno test for third-party confirmation of exactly what the results are and I will post them when it's done.

There is no getting away from the fact that this was an absurd process that took 3.5 months to get done, but it was...by all accounts...not at all typical. Both Stasis and the dealer were diligent in addressing the problem, and there was none of the finger-pointing that I was afraid might result. Other than the time it took everyone to figure things out there was no screwing around or avoiding responsibility. To address your question about Capilano Audi, they were great.

Is the hassle of the Stasis remote bench tune worth it compared to the quick GIAC (or other) on-site installs? I'll wait for JohnBoyToo to do his REVO dyno test (soon, right JBT?) and mine to compare from a testing point of view, but I will say that if things go wrong, I would be recommending the warranty aspect of the Stasis work without hesitation. Maybe other tuners would stand behind their products, but I bet any necessary cooperation between dealer and tuner would be nonexistent. This doesn't stop me from being jealous of what I have heard from JBT & birdman about their quick and fantastic experiences, but this was key in resolving the problem in my weird situation.

Is the Q better? Yep. Rough sprint tests show the improvement, though JBT will remind me that I don't know what I am doing. ... Dyno will tell.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, c'mon man !!!

I haven't busted your mountain oysters ONCE ! (have I ?)

Soon is a relative term - I keep getting side tracked with forum racing and life

but at least I did a video and posted in my signature...
Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Easy Guys,

Are we having the battle of the tunes. Maybe you both could meet up at the Bonneville Salt Flats for a throwdown!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, my A4 was reflashed in late December and I noticed an immediate improvement in boost consistency. After 30 days and 1,500 miles the car still feels fine. I have a dyno schedule later in February and will share that as well.

It looks like there might have been some issue with the Stasis tune... they did pick up the pieces and put things back together for me so hopefully that will be a trend for everyone else and future issues will be resolved quicker... I've heard about some big changes in the customer service department at Stasis...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Ouch, c'mon man !!!

I haven't busted your mountain oysters ONCE ! (have I ?)
Soon is a relative term - I keep getting side tracked with forum racing and life
but at least I did a video and posted in my signature...
Ha ha. I can't find the post but I think we were discussing real life sprint numbers and you called me on my rookie approach. That's ok though, I pretend to be nothing but.

I look forward to hearing about your results, and mine. AWD dynos are scarce around here—the only one is in Squamish—so it has taken me a while to get a time set up.

Once I find a way to strap that camera to my face I'll do the same vid thing. We have a law up here banning hand-held devices