Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

STaSIS Q5 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Frederick just 20 miles from Summit Point. I will have to stop in at your shop some day. FWIW, I sense that the market for a HD off-road package may be pretty limited in the Q5 population; although it might be a good differentiation niche for your firm I'm not certain the business profit would be there. Looking at your product line for the A5, it looks like a similar offerings for the Q5 would provide a larger market.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm about to purchase an Audi Q5 but am deciding between the 2.0T vs the 3.2

I'm not looking for the Audi to do off-roading, but having it more of an in city SUV. I'd rather use a less expensive car to do the off roading... one that looks tough and agressive, but also looks good dirty. The Q5 isn't one of those cars. It looks tough in the speedy sense...not in the All Terrain sense.

Back to my purchase dilemma...I know Stasis has the Touring option available for install at various Audi Dealers, but because I'm not familiar of how the Stasis Touring pckg feels or how it looks for the Q5...is there somewhere in Los Angeles where I can either test drive or at least see a Q5 Touring package?

It would definitely help me make up my mind.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Having finally taken possession of my 2.0T Q5 yesterday after a long wait—woohoo—I will be looking for options. The Q already looks great (the S line package makes a big difference), and I'm thinking my additional performance needs would be met by the ECU tuning only. The 2.0T is a great engine, but in the Q5 it would benefit from a bit more juice. I am coming out of an A3 and, of course, the difference is noticeable in this type of vehicle but I'd like to close the gap a bit. I would like to get input from someone—anyone—who has had the Stasis ECU done on the Q5, but according to the one Stasis qualified dealer in my area (Vancouver, BC) no one has done it here yet. I have seen no one on this post mention it either.

The other thing I would look for is something related to the engine/exhaust notes. With the same engine in the A3, I had always loved the throatiness and depth of the sound when spooling up that turbo. This is absent in the Q5, and I miss it already.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by German_Car_Luvr_LA
I'm about to purchase an Audi Q5 but am deciding between the 2.0T vs the 3.2

I'm not looking for the Audi to do off-roading, but having it more of an in city SUV. I'd rather use a less expensive car to do the off roading... one that looks tough and agressive, but also looks good dirty. The Q5 isn't one of those cars. It looks tough in the speedy sense...not in the All Terrain sense.

Back to my purchase dilemma...I know Stasis has the Touring option available for install at various Audi Dealers, but because I'm not familiar of how the Stasis Touring pckg feels or how it looks for the Q5...is there somewhere in Los Angeles where I can either test drive or at least see a Q5 Touring package?

It would definitely help me make up my mind.

Thanks.
I will also note, for the benefit of German_Car_Luvr_LA choosing between engines, that I went with the 2.0T because of a) the fact that the factory performance is very close to the 3.2 anyway (I tried both and the difference is minimal), and b) the potential of this sort of upgrade. It is well developed for this engine— having been around for a long while—and, according to what I have seen, turns the 2.0T into something that seriously outperforms the long-in-the-tooth 3.2
Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

3 things I find lacking on my 2011 2.0t P+:

Power - easy with a simple flash. Would be great to install/un install at home, update maps, ect like Cobb AP.

Steering feel- way too much assist at low speed, it feels like a lexus. I wish it could feel like bmw w/ sport package. Possibly modify the amount of pump assist or change the bypass spring?

Handling- again, very lacking when compared to bmw equipped with sport package. Upgraded shocks and sways would be nice and maybe slightly stiffer springs, although I would not want to lower it at all. Damping adjustment from the cabin like tein edfc would be pretty neat.

I think the interior quality and exterior design are great and would likley not be interested in doing any changes to these areas. Also, the offroad bit sounds a little off.... I dont see that being all that sucessful.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS
3 things I find lacking on my 2011 2.0t P+:

Power - easy with a simple flash. Would be great to install/un install at home, update maps, ect like Cobb AP.

Steering feel- way too much assist at low speed, it feels like a lexus. I wish it could feel like bmw w/ sport package. Possibly modify the amount of pump assist or change the bypass spring?

Handling- again, very lacking when compared to bmw equipped with sport package. Upgraded shocks and sways would be nice and maybe slightly stiffer springs, although I would not want to lower it at all. Damping adjustment from the cabin like tein edfc would be pretty neat.

I think the interior quality and exterior design are great and would likley not be interested in doing any changes to these areas. Also, the offroad bit sounds a little off.... I dont see that being all that sucessful.
I think the 2.0T is a much better choice then the 3.2. Comparable to the 3.2 in performance but doing so with a lot better fuel economy. With an APR flash of the ECU you could select between stock and custom flash when you want using the cruise control. I'm sure the 2.0T would really come alive with an ECU Flash.
I think the suspension is a good compromise between soft and firm for the everyday driving that my wife does in the Q. It's not supposed to handle like an S4.
I do wish it had the S4 seats as an option at least. The stock seats have very little side bolster and you move around in them quite a bit during cornering. I think they designed them more for easy entry and exit.
I like the low speed assist in the steering. I wish the speed where it drops the level of assist was higher. You can go around a residential street corner and the assist feels like it's not there at all and takes a lot of extra effort that you're not always ready for.
An S Line Q5 with the 3.0T motor would be really nice!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having Just moved from A3 Sport to Q5

I LOVED my A3 sport. APR chipped and H&R rear bar and I could slide it through anything.
I needed a little more space, towing capacity and....
The other vehicle in the house has always been a "truck" (Pilot, XC90, etc.)
I liked the truck for getting in and out of the soccer fields, wooded trail up to cabin in NH but hated "driving them"
The Q5 was the best compromise I was able to find.
Brakes feel sluggish compared to A3
A lot more body roll
doesn't track as well on the highway

As for off road:
rebound/jounce over bumps seems excessive
no real mounting point for a winch
Q5 has significant understeer on loose gravel and dirt

Would love some air springs to have truck ride lower daily and raise it up when going off road
get the balance a little more neutral and cut down some on the roll
figure out a way to offer me a winch (HATE using the come-along to get out of the mud.