Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Steering column

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column

Electronic telescoping steering column not even an option for a luxury market vehicle? I don't get it. Why would Audi leave that one out? Very annoying to have to adjust steering wheel getting in and out. Also lever tucked away in center an very low. Side control lever would have been easier atleast.

Also find it annoying that engine start button available only on prestige trim.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I don't share your annoyance. I've had many vehicles with adjustable wheel/column and have never once felt a need to adjust the steering wheel to facilitate ingress and egress.

I have prestige trim line and find start buttons to be merely an affectation; I do like the "smart key" though.

Do you have a Q5? If not, you might find other choices that suit you better.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I do agree schanyc. However, I ruled that option unnecessary. I was also annoyed with the face the controls are not touch screened based. But again I found that unnecessary as well. I do love every other aspect of the car though. Every car has things that others don't. You are just going to have to find what is an necessity and what is't.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How large are you? I don't know why you would have to adjust the steering wheel to get in and out. No problems here.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jim0607
How large are you? I don't know why you would have to adjust the steering wheel to get in and out. No problems here.
A little shy about my figure... I'm 6 ft 215. Thick legs but athletic build. =). Been driving a sedan all my life and I've always driven with the wheel at the lowest position and raised to get in and out.

This will be my first suv and honestly dont remember that part of my test drive. I just ordered the car 2 wks ago so along with what had been said, many positives outweighed a couple of negs.

Taking delivery in 3 months on a 2011 Q5 3.2 deep sea blue, S line interior package (w/ dubs).
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you get dubs, can i get ur s-line rims? haha

yeah i thought of it, it should have power adjust but i dont mind it too much, i dont usually adjust my steering.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by schanyc
Electronic telescoping steering column not even an option for a luxury market vehicle? I don't get it. Why would Audi leave that one out? Very annoying to have to adjust steering wheel getting in and out. Also lever tucked away in center an very low. Side control lever would have been easier at least.
I am more disturbed that it is not electronic so in setting my seating position (which does include the side mirrors!!) it is not remembered ... when my husband & I swap driving (tho infrequently) we have to play with the steering column adjustment and yeah it is annoying!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
if you get dubs, can i get ur s-line rims? haha

yeah i thought of it, it should have power adjust but i dont mind it too much, i dont usually adjust my steering.
Correct me if I am mistaken in my car lingo. I thought 20" rims that come with the s line package are co sidered dubs?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone know if the prestige package also has a manually telescoping steering wheel? Is that true for 2012 also?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The ordering guide for the 2012 doesnt mention the steering column but the q7 has an automatic adjustment in the prestige package explicitly listed.

Quick Reply: Steering column