Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Steering Wheel Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Swap Question

Hi, All - I don't have access to ETKA, so I was wondering if somebody could answer my question.

I am looking to replace my steering wheel. I bought a lightly used 2010 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium Plus. Everything is in great condition - except for the steering wheel. It has a couple of rips in the leather, and it is really driving me crazy.

I am going to replace it, so I figure I'll try to upgrade it to wood grain at the same time. I found one that looks like it matches my interior perfectly, and the seller says that it is compatible with a 2010 Q5 - but I wanted to verify it here first.

The part number is: 8K0 419 091 BE

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mfpearson
Hi, All - I don't have access to ETKA, so I was wondering if somebody could answer my question.

I am looking to replace my steering wheel. I bought a lightly used 2010 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium Plus. Everything is in great condition - except for the steering wheel. It has a couple of rips in the leather, and it is really driving me crazy.

I am going to replace it, so I figure I'll try to upgrade it to wood grain at the same time. I found one that looks like it matches my interior perfectly, and the seller says that it is compatible with a 2010 Q5 - but I wanted to verify it here first.

The part number is: 8K0 419 091 BE

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Don't know about that compatability (it should work as type 8K's are A4's from 2008-present and is the same chassis (B8) as the Q5). But if you can't get it to work, and you are looking for an OEM replacement wheel I took off of my Q5 when I upgraded to the flat-bottom wheel (4 spoke, multi-function, black, in perfect shape), I have one ready to ship. I'll sell it to you for pretty cheap if you are interested.

I have it with or without airbag, whichever you prefer. You can PM me or reply here if interested.

Good luck with the wood grain one if you get it to work though!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Don't know about that compatability (it should work as type 8K's are A4's from 2008-present and is the same chassis (B8) as the Q5). But if you can't get it to work, and you are looking for an OEM replacement wheel I took off of my Q5 when I upgraded to the flat-bottom wheel (4 spoke, multi-function, black, in perfect shape), I have one ready to ship. I'll sell it to you for pretty cheap if you are interested.

I have it with or without airbag, whichever you prefer. You can PM me or reply here if interested.

Good luck with the wood grain one if you get it to work though!
thanks for the reply, and the offer - i'd take you up on it, but my steering wheel is grey.

it looks exactly the same, so i don't see why it wouldn't be compatible... but then again, i know nothing about these things.

hopefully someone will come along who can confirm the compatibility with certainty!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it helps, my flat-bottom wheel is a Type 8K wheel too (8K0 419 091), and it fit perfect and works perfectly on the Q5. It's basically an S4 wheel.

A4, S4, Q5 are all the same platform.

And black on gray would look great, IMO (haha)
Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well, i ended up going for it - bought this steering wheel off ebay. i know the grey leather will match - i'm hoping the wood grain is a near-perfect match too. it's really hard to tell from pictures... i figured it was worth a shot, and if the match isn't good enough, i'll just resell it and take a little bit of a loss:

if it's a good match, i need to decide whether i want to try and swap the steering wheels myself (never attempted it before) or have a professional do it... anyone done it themselves before? i've read up on it, and it seems pretty straightforward if you have the right tools. i just don't want to mess anything up.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I saw a few S4 steering wheels on eBay, some with the paddle shifters.

Anyone know if the paddle shifters can be easily added to a Q5 that didn't come with them from the factory?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by antirich
I saw a few S4 steering wheels on eBay, some with the paddle shifters.

Anyone know if the paddle shifters can be easily added to a Q5 that didn't come with them from the factory?
yes, it can be done - you'll have to use a VAG COM cable and reprogram the computer to recognize the paddle shifters, though.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes, it can be done - you'll have to use a VAG COM cable and reprogram the computer to recognize the paddle shifters, though.
Something the normal Audi tuning shop should be able to do after I install it? Or will they have to take the wheel back off anyway?

BTW: any recommend online places for discounted Audi OEM parts? I'm wondering if the wheel might be best purchased direct.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow that is one very un-pretty wheel.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Who told you that it could be done with a VAG COM cable?????
For your information can not reprogram the computer with VAG COM cable
You must have an installation cable and module used to connect the same and .........
Name:  ScreenShot302.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  54.3 KB

Last edited by spijun; 09-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Swap Question