Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Steering Wheel Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Wow that is one very un-pretty wheel.
huh? well, then you would hate the interior of my car... it just looks like every other q5 wheel, with some wood grain on it. thanks for the comment, though. haters gonna hate.

as for the vag com cable reprogramming - i've read threads where people have done it, so i took their word for it. if i'm wrong, i apologize.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm taking my q5 in for service next week because of the power steering hose TSB. I asked the service manager how much he'd charge to swap my steering wheel while the car is in for service.

He said that he can't do that for me because its a safety issue to mess with the airbag... I've been reading old threads lately, and several people have had their steering wheels swapped by the dealership.

ThunderDent, the dealer did your flat bottom s line steering wheel for you, right?

Not sure what I'm gonna do about this... Might have to try it myself, or pay a mechanic. Definitely would've preferred to have the dealership do it, though.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

At the risk of asking a dumb question...

I bought an 8k0 steering wheel to put on my Q5. I was told it would work just fine with my current airbag. When I began the swap process, I noticed the steering wheel that was on my car was an 8r0, but everything looked exactly the same, so I proceeded with the swap. I got everything taken apart, and then got it all put back together with the new wheel, except I couldn't seem to get the t30 screws to line up properly... But the airbag fit perfectly, and I got the horn working. Anyway, when I start the engine, I get an "air bag" light and a "parking break malfunction" - but the car drives perfectly fine. I took it to my local mechanic (I don't have a vag com cable) to see if he could diagnose/clear the codes, but he wasn't able to, and said I should make an appointment to bring it in for him to look at.

I'd rather not pay for the appointment and labor if I don't have to - any troubleshooting suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

8R0 - for Q5 and A5
8K0 - for A3 and A4
Without diagnostic impossible to remove error

Last edited by spijun; 09-29-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
8R0 - for Q5 and A5
8K0 - for A3 and A4
Without diagnostic impossible to remove error
So you think the error could be removed with a VAG COM cable? The plugs all fit perfectly, and the wheel looks exactly the same... Does it need a different air bag?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mfpearson
So you think the error could be removed with a VAG COM cable? The plugs all fit perfectly, and the wheel looks exactly the same... Does it need a different air bag?
Delete error can but if the same recurs then it is a problem.
If the air bag fits to new steering wheel you do not need replacement
Error for the air bag is fine but strange error "parking break malfunction".
I hope that you have unplugged the battery when you made replacing steering wheel.

Last edited by spijun; 09-30-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Delete error can but if the same recurs then it is a problem.
If the air bag fits to new steering wheel you do not need replacement
Error for the air bag is fine but strange error "parking break malfunction".
I hope that you have unplugged the battery when you made replacing steering wheel.
I did unplug the battery... And I read that lots of people get the air bag light and the parking break light at the same time.

The air bag does fit, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I still can't get the screws back in... But it fits tightly enough that there is no movement or vibration while driving. Do you think I need to go back to my old wheel/get a new airbag?

SPIJUN, what are the part numbers for the air bags for the 8k0 and 8r0 steering wheels? Thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I did unplug the battery... And I read that lots of people get the air bag light and the parking break light at the same time.

The air bag does fit, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I still can't get the screws back in... But it fits tightly enough that there is no movement or vibration while driving. Do you think I need to go back to my old wheel/get a new airbag?

SPIJUN, what are the part numbers for the air bags for the 8k0 and 8r0 steering wheels? Thanks!
For 8R0 depends on the engine, gearbox, model steering wheel ........
There are models of air bags: 8R0880201A, 8R0880201E , 8R0880201C, 8R0880201B, 8R0880201F, 8R0880201G......depending on model steering wheel and color pimento beige, agate grey, soul-black....
My advice is do not play with a steering wheel and with airbag
The end for me
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For 8R0 depends on the engine, gearbox, model steering wheel ........
There are models of air bags: 8R0880201A, 8R0880201E , 8R0880201C, 8R0880201B, 8R0880201F, 8R0880201G......depending on model steering wheel and color pimento beige, agate grey, soul-black....
My advice is do not play with a steering wheel and with airbag
The end for me
Ha, thanks... It's a little too late to not play with the steering wheel and airbag.

Would you mind giving me the 8k0 part numbers for the airbag? That would be most helpful. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ThunderDent, the dealer did your flat bottom s line steering wheel for you, right?
Yes, the dealer swapped mine out no problem for me.

I replaced my 4-spoke wheel & airbag with the one from the flat-bottom facelift steering wheel from the S4, and my insert is S-line, not "S4".

I had ordered both of these from Alex @ EuroPrice, because I wanted to make sure I got something that fit and worked correctly (since it was a safety issue.) There was a really cool one I was going to get that had leather on the airbag, but he told me it wouldn't work for the B8 chassis, it was made for an S8 or something that was bigger.

*S-line Facelift Flat-bottom multi-function SPORT steering wheel, Black, partial air-leather, Titanium Gray stitching, No paddles (don't care for them):
8K0 419 09 1CN (IXC)

*Airbag, Black, Round, w/silver Audi Rings & silver circle, BLACK:
8K0 880 201 AE 6PS 06S

This is one mod I certainly didn't want to mess with myself, as I wanted it installed by a professional. I took it to the dealer service dept and they said no problem. Everything was plug & play. They installed it. I have never had one error code on it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 09-30-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Swap Question