Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stiff turning after a long time parking

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 08:22 AM
t20
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff turning after a long time parking

We were away from home for 2 weeks, so I parked the 2011 Q5 in the garage. After we returned from the trip, my wife told me the steering on it is pretty hard. It felt like there is a bump you have to get over when the steering wheel is turn to a degree, to either left or right. This happen in both D and R gears. It is especial hard in the morning, backing out of garage. After driving it for a while, it is a bit better on the highway. I even tried it with S mode, but still same thing. Is there anything I can check myself or it will have to go to the dealership for a checkup? TIA.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by t20
We were away from home for 2 weeks, so I parked the 2011 Q5 in the garage. After we returned from the trip, my wife told me the steering on it is pretty hard. It felt like there is a bump you have to get over when the steering wheel is turn to a degree, to either left or right. This happen in both D and R gears. It is especial hard in the morning, backing out of garage. After driving it for a while, it is a bit better on the highway. I even tried it with S mode, but still same thing. Is there anything I can check myself or it will have to go to the dealership for a checkup? TIA.
Wonder if you have a weak battery. Ever changed?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 AM
t20
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
The battery was replaced in late 2016. I have a Schumacher SC-1200A/CA Charger at home, can I do a maintenance charge with it?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

What steering type do you have??? 1N3 1N1 or different type??

Information on servotronic 1N3
Check power steering fluid level, and power steering pump if working properly when turning wheel. If level is not right propably you have a fluid leak. Also check steering fluid colour. Flushing power steering fluid and replacing with new might help. Retrofitting ADS also helps when on comfort.

​​​​

Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 AM
t20
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by apoelistas
What steering type do you have??? 1N3 1N1 or different type??

Information on servotronic 1N3
Check power steering fluid level, and power steering pump if working properly when turning wheel. If level is not right propably you have a fluid leak. Also check steering fluid colour. Flushing power steering fluid and replacing with new might help. Retrofitting ADS also helps when on comfort.

I think I have the 1N1 steering. I don't have the shift paddles on the steering wheel. I will check the power steering fluid. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by t20
I think I have the 1N1 steering. I don't have the shift paddles on the steering wheel. I will check the power steering fluid. Thanks for the advice.

You are welcome.

I did not have the steering wheel paddles and did not have ADS but retrofitted both. Luckily my Q5 had 1N3. Check the PR code in your battery compartment
​​​​​
also check if tyres have the correct air pressure.
​​​​
​​​
Old 03-27-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I not sure if you have fluid or electric power steering.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Also worth checking are any universal joints in the steering column I think there are 2.These can produce this type of behaviour.A good penetrating lubricant can often restore them.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts

I not sure if you have fluid or electric power steering.
2011's have hydraulic steering assist.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Also worth checking are any universal joints in the steering column I think there are 2.These can produce this type of behaviour.A good penetrating lubricant can often restore them.
MurrayA4
I tried to lubricate my 2 steering column ball bearings with silicone spray and here is my experience. The bottom steering column ball bearing is easy to lubricate (and clean). However the top is under the steering wheel (surrounded by the clock spring) and difficult to lubricate because we need to remove airbag and steering wheel thus its bolt too.

I am having steering wheel noises on the upper steering column ball bearing which must need lubrication. Because I need blue loctite threadlocker for the bolt I will do this next time I visit my mechanic. Not sure if it worths the hussle but top noise (screeching) while turning SW will not go away.

Regarding the u-joints I can only see one in the drivers compartment near the pedals which I have already greased. The second steering column u joint is in the engine compartment under firewall. Also sprayed silicone on the firewall.

Will try to greese all u-joints on my next service (axles, transmission, steering) using normal grease.

​​​​
​​​
​​​​​

​​​

​​​​

Last edited by apoelistas; 03-28-2018 at 04:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Stiff turning after a long time parking