Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Strange Bluetooth Hands Free Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Bluetooth Hands Free Issue

Wondering if anyone else has had or heard of an issue like this. Suddenly a couple of weeks ago, I could't use Bluetooth to talk on the phone. It's an iPhone 5, up to date on software, and 2013 Q5.

The phone is synced, music will stream, contacts sync, etc, but no audio for phone calls. Stranger still, on the phone screen where I choose Audio Source, the Audi is listed but it won't let me select it. NOR can i talk on the phone with iPhone selected. iMust choose Speakerphone to be able to talk on the phone while in the car.

I even deleted the device from the list and re-synced with no problems but still same issue.

Oddly enough, I think voicemails will play through the car speakers.

Any ideas at all? I've tried turning audio streaming off and on, although i don't think that should matter for using the hands free.

thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rohare
Wondering if anyone else has had or heard of an issue like this. Suddenly a couple of weeks ago, I could't use Bluetooth to talk on the phone. It's an iPhone 5, up to date on software, and 2013 Q5.

The phone is synced, music will stream, contacts sync, etc, but no audio for phone calls. Stranger still, on the phone screen where I choose Audio Source, the Audi is listed but it won't let me select it. NOR can i talk on the phone with iPhone selected. iMust choose Speakerphone to be able to talk on the phone while in the car.

I even deleted the device from the list and re-synced with no problems but still same issue.

Oddly enough, I think voicemails will play through the car speakers.

Any ideas at all? I've tried turning audio streaming off and on, although i don't think that should matter for using the hands free.

thanks.
on iphone:
1. delete audi mmi from your iphone in bluetooth

on audi:
1. delete iphone from your audi in mmi

then reboot your iphone, turn on bluetooth and sync with your audi again...
Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure if this is related to your issue, but I have had similar issues with a Motorola RAZR (Android) and my wife's iPhone 5. Both seem related, in my case, to Bluetooth's very limited "roaming" and re-connect capabilities, not necessarily the MMI since I have this problem with our other non-Audi as well.

In a nutshell, if I've been connected via Bluetooth anytime in the recent past (say 1-2 minutes) to some Bluetooth device other than the Audi, voice calls will not connect directly to the MMI when I get in the car. My RAZR very specifically shows I am connected to the Audi, but says "no phone calls" next to connection status.

As you say, I can stream music, etc, but calls will not connect over BT. I can almost always just do a BT disconnect/re-connect on the Android phone, and all is well. The iPhone, being Apple, gives no real indication of what's going on, and as pkalltheway2000 describes, we usually have to go through some additional steps.

As an aside, it's always fun when my wife and I are both pulling out of the garage at the same time -- her phone inevitably connects to my car (the Q5), mine connects to hers, and then as connections drop as we get farther apart, neither of the phones recover correctly to either car.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Try a different phone?

I have read many of these posts now on the other boards I frequent too. Folks always seem to think of the car electronics.

How about the phone as well? It's the thing that gets constantly dropped, sat on, jostled, you name it. It's not just the software being up to date on the phone; they can and do suddenly develop electronics issues. With all the features on the phone and the many radios actually built into it, it may not be obvious that only part of it crapped out.

FWIW, my bluetooth flaked on my iPhone 4 late last year; would drop calls off bluetooth (and thus back to the handset) after a minute or two but then try to reconnect to them again. Reset everything out the wazoo; no difference. But on a trip w/ my wife, had her sync her iPhone 5. On hers, no issue--rock solid on quite extended calls. Conclusion: its my phone. Waiting for what ever Apple's next iteration is before I replace it, since I can get by w/ earbuds. Suggest you try the same with your Q5 and some other phone that is known to work--before spending more time on the "car" side if you have already done the obvious re set and re sync basics.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-25-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pkalltheway2000
on iphone:
1. delete audi mmi from your iphone in bluetooth

on audi:
1. delete iphone from your audi in mmi

then reboot your iphone, turn on bluetooth and sync with your audi again...
Thanks, that worked like a charm. I guess I was on the right path but didn't go far enough.