Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stupid NAV had me turning left onto a one way street...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid NAV had me turning left onto a one way street...

Going the WRONG way. I quickly turned it into a U-turn right in front of another driver. Luckily for both of us he had another lane to use to get around me. He flipped me off as he went by and I sheepishly cowered as I sank into my seat thinking how I have again been reminded how much I hate the NAV in my Audi. Even after the update, it still sux.
Only 2 more weeks of dealing with this crap.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 11-25-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

You're not the only ones who have problems with navigation
Unfortunately firm Navteq who makes maps for Audi always late by a year and sometimes more, and not just in the USA
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry, next year's map release might get that fixed... oh wait....

I'm pretty sure that Navteq provides the data for Honda, as well, and Honda releases map updates every year (not that I buy the DVD every year, but at least it's available). To this day I don't understand what the deal is with Audi's system and why no updates have been released in the US.

Though as with any navigation system, it can be very wrong at any time, so you have to be questioning all of its directions. Which none of us really do since 99% of the time they're valid and especially in the city you wouldn't expect there to be bad data and you're watching out for other vehicles and such.

Glad you (and the other driver) made it out fine, though.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Navteq does maps for MANY mfg's... including Garmin...
I can promise you the issue is with Audi, NOT with Navteq....

I have had Garmins for years and I get free QUARTERLY updates with the units I bought that have lifetime maps and traffic...
and the maps are no more than 6 months old !

Makes me go GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR to put a unit on the dash to compensate for a bad $3000 navigation option

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 11-25-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd take my Garmin Nuvi over the factory systems in our Audi and BMW any day, but even it has directed me to turn the wrong way onto a one-way on multiple occasions. I suppose I could understand it if traffic patterns had changed, but it's baffling that it could happen in established neighborhoods.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this is new or not, but my 2013 Q5 came with Google integration through Audi Connect. It's subscription based through T-Mobile and allows you to access Google Maps, enter destinations, POI's, gas prices etc. If you keep up the subscription, it semms like the maps, POI's etc. via Google will always be current. It can eliminate the need to update the vehicle's nav maps. I still have more learning to do, but that's the way it looks to me.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, pre 13's did not have google as an option....
all self contained but with old maps...

As long as the maps are up to date,
I've never been directed down a wrong way with nuvi's - maybe it might not have been the way I would have gone , but always got me there !
even when they HAVE shut down an exit as they have a tendency to do here in dfw
Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Going the WRONG way. I quickly turned it into a U-turn right in front of another driver. Luckily for both of us he had another lane to use to get around me. He flipped me off as he went by and I sheepishly cowered as I sank into my seat thinking how I have again been reminded how much I hate the NAV in my Audi. Even after the update, it still sux.
Only 2 more weeks of dealing with this crap.
A couple of weeks ago as I was traveling on a parkway the NAV directed me to get off at an exit that was well before my destination, then proceeded to direct me back on to the highway but going in the wrong direction--against traffic! Fortunately the ramp was clearly marked with WRONG WAY signs. It was really weird!