Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stutters while coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stutters while coming to a stop

With just 3000 miles on my Q, I am experiencing a odd stutter when coming to a stop. It feels similar to other cars that I have had when the ABS system would trigger in. The only difference with the Q is that it happens just before I come to a complete stop. Anyone out there with a similar experience?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are 2 possibilities; S-tronis downshifting and breakes. You can't do much for gear box, as this is its nature. You can't hear it, but you can feel some stuttering while reducing from 2nd to 1st gear near the stop. The other issue is some squeak coming from breaks, which is hearable. Also, over time, appearing when trying to move the car from stand still and breaks disangage. This is almost fully curable by executing break-in process for breaks. Just accelerate to 60mph and decelerat as hard as possible to 10mphs, but without engaging ABS and NOT coming to full stop. Repeat few times.Squeaking should go... for some time...
Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mirekmal
There are 2 possibilities; S-tronis downshifting and breakes. You can't do much for gear box, as this is its nature. You can't hear it, but you can feel some stuttering while reducing from 2nd to 1st gear near the stop. The other issue is some squeak coming from breaks, which is hearable. Also, over time, appearing when trying to move the car from stand still and breaks disangage. This is almost fully curable by executing break-in process for breaks. Just accelerate to 60mph and decelerat as hard as possible to 10mphs, but without engaging ABS and NOT coming to full stop. Repeat few times.Squeaking should go... for some time...
It is occurring when the car is barely moving and just prior to stopping. Not sure if downshifting is occurring at that point. Initially, I thought it was the brakes and did what you have indicated, but with no success. There was never any squeaking.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had a somewhat similar experience as described below. Some responded that the "lurch" went away after 5000 miles and didn't require any repair or update.

Big hiccup update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a call from Audi Customer Relations as a follow up to buying my Q5 and I mentioned the occasional lurch hiccup as noted below. I was told there is no recall about it but there is a "technical bulletin" concerning a transmission software update which the dealer in Sewickley, PA did quickly, courteously and without charge. No problems since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons2art
Purchased a 2011 Q5 in November and experienced a similar "big hiccup" sensation (as mentioned in the report below) when slowly going downhill in my driveway. I remembered the report in Edmonds.com and when I called my local Audi dealer he had not heard of any recalls involuntary or otherwise and did not recommend any transmission reprograming. All he said was that it was safe to drive and see if it happens again. Anyone else note this "big hiccup"?

Review from Edmonds.com
Soccer Mom looking for more fun while getting close to "mid-life crisis!" Got the fun back! Wow, love the power and handling and feel of this drive. With hardly any inventory around, had to take the offered package 2.0T premium plus and love it. Sporty, luxury, can't-take-my-eyes-off-of-it beauty! Tight space inside but the sacrifice is worth it. Not getting the mileage yet that I was hoping for and premium gas pricey but still worth it! Hope the Audi "quality" holds up over the years. A little concerned about a big hiccup feeling when slowing down towards stop sign (outcome of drive-by-wire?). Interested to know what that is and why and is the car okay? Overall, very pleased with Q5

Favorite Features
Exterior design beautiful, teak brown exquisite, powerful peppy pick up and sporty feel, audio memory card feature superb and easy, automatic and fast rear cargo door a wonderful luxury!

Recommend (1) (0)
Report it
Comments (1) Post a Comment
12/12/10
08:45 AM (PST)
The "hiccup" you mention is easily resolved with the voluntary recall to reprogram the transmission. I took my 2011 Q5 in last month and the dealer performed the udate free of charge.